Six

Six (Edited)

        Colton and I pull into the driveway of my childhood home and I feel comforted by the familiar setting. I've made so many beautiful memories in this house with my little family that consists only of my mom and Smith. I'm reluctant to leave these little pieces of me behind but, at the same time, I know I'll make amazing new ones with Colton in a house of our own.

        "You okay?" Colton asks, breaking me out of my sentimental moment. I nod and throw the car door open in excitement. It's been only a day since I've seen her but I seriously miss my mom. She's been one of my only best friends for years and it felt weird waking up this morning without the smell of breakfast cooking (her favorite meal to make).

        I take my worn out key from my back pocket and slide it into the lock, opening the door for Colton and I. "Mom! I'm here!"

        Shuffling comes from the kitchen and my mom comes around the corner looking more frazzled than I've ever seen her. I give her a questioning glance and we fall into an awkward silence until Colton clears his throat with a friendly smile on his face. "Hi, Mrs. Blackwell. I'm so sorry for the intrusion, but I just wanted to stop by and make the acquaintance of my beautiful mate's mother."

        The first thing I think is that he's being a total suck up and just lied to my mom about why we're really here, but when I see her relax a little I know he's only doing it for her sake. I send a grateful smile his way before I approach my mom and envelop her in a hug, "How are you, mom? I didn't get a chance to talk to you or Smith yesterday. You both kind of disappeared on me." I chuckle. Mentioning our talk a few hours prior with Colton in the room didn't seem like the best idea.

        "Oh, I'm fine honey. Smith and I had something to attend to. Plus, another pretty girl caught his eye and he was instantly putty in her hand." She smiles although I know my mom well enough to see that it's forced. Did she sound like this on the phone?

        A ringing interrupts my mom and I, but Colton apologizes and walks out the front door to take it. Looking back to my mom, she frantically grabs my arm and pulls me close to her, "Cassia, there's something very, very important I must tell you. It's about-" her hushed whispering is cut off by my mate walking back in. What the heck is going on? Why couldn't she have told me whatever this is earlier?

        "I'm so sorry to do this but I have a problem I must take care of. I'll be back to pick you up later, Cassia. It was nice meeting you, Mrs. Blackwell." He strides up to me and kisses my forehead before quickly leaving my mother's house. I wonder what has him so worried?

        "Come. Sit," my mom orders, dragging me to the couch. Colton is pushed to the back of my mind as I await for whatever important news she has to tell me. "Now that he's gone I can do this right. Smith! Get down here!" Smith? Smith is here? Usually I can smell him if he's here.

        All of a sudden, Smith appears right before my very eyes and I fall off the couch in shock. Is my mind playing tricks on me?

        "S-Smith? What the hell was that?!" I exclaim, pinching myself in case this is a dream.

        "HA! I did it! I win! I knew once I pulled that trick off I would get you to cuss. A weak cuss word, yes, but still an explicit word!" he screams, fist pumping the air. Well, obviously this isn't a dream. Smith is still his childish self which means that he really appeared out of thin air. Since when is that normal?! And why is my mom just sitting there like it's no big deal?!

        "Explain!" I manage to choke out. Smith laughs and runs a hand through his brown hair. He starts to say something but my mom cuts him off, "There is no way in heck I'm letting you explain this to her. You would find some way to screw it up."