-9-

He was sitting at his desk as he barked orders into his phone. My breathing hitched as his eyes snapped to mine. I didn't know why I felt so vulnerable in his presence. He was my mate, and yet I felt powerless.

He gestured for me to have a seat in one of the chairs in front of his desk. Forcing my legs to move, I sat down then let my eyes roam over his office as I waited. His office had a homey feel to it. It's had ebony wooded furniture with beautiful geometric paintings. My eyes landed on the huge bookshelf located on my left, and before I could stop myself I was up and walking towards it.

My eyes looked over all the books until one in particular caught my eyes. The vibrant colors of the book drew me in. This was one of my favorite books, it changed my perspective of life and made me appreciate the little things we took for granted. Grabbing the book, I ran my hands over the title.

The Four Agreements.

Alpha Owen cleared his throat, drawing me out of my thought. "I'm not going to lie. I was completely lost once I finished that book." I turned to meet his steady gaze. "It took me two times to understand the true meaning of it, but once you get it...it's life changing."

A small smile made it's way onto his face. "I'll have to read it again then." His eyes lingered on mine for a few seconds before he gestured for me to sit. I placed the book in its rightful place then sat back in my seat.

"There are some things we have to go over." He stated. I nodded in agreement.

"I won't be claiming you as my mate anytime soon." My heart dropped at that statement. Half of me was glad because I wasn't ready to be tied down to a male. But the other half of me longed for my mate.

Sensing my discomfort, he continued. "Call me old fashioned, but I don't believe in rushing into a relationship. Mate or not, I don't know you or your intentions. There has to be trust present, and as of now I don't trust you. Which I'm sure you feel the same towards me."

That was a lot to take in at once, but I understood his point. My wolf lowered her head with her paws covering her eyes, clearly not agreeing with what our mate was saying. "Okay." I whispered out.

He sighed and ran his hands over his face. "You start school Monday. Genevieve wants to take you school shopping tomorrow if you're up for it?" I nodded and forced a smile on my face.

"That's all I can think of right now. Dinner will be delivered to your room shortly. As I'm sure you don't want to meet the pack right now."

"I mean, I will." I said with a shrug.

"But you don't want to." He pointed out.

I didn't want to sound rude, but big crowds filled with people I didn't know made me nervous. Especially since I knew all eyes would be on the "new girl." I knew eventually I'd have to face them, but as of now...I'd rather pass.

He nodded then dropped his gaze to the papers on his desk, silently dismissing me. "Um..." His eyes darted towards mine. "Yes?" He asked.

"Is it okay if I call you Owen?" I held his gaze as I bit the inside of my cheek nervously.

His lips formed into a smile. "I'd be upset if you didn't." I didn't know why the simple act of me being able to call him by his first name made me so happy, but I found myself biting my lip to quit from smiling.

I nodded then headed for the door, leaving him to his work.

The pack house was huge and I had no idea how to get back to my room. I instantly regretted not paying more attention to my surroundings earlier. I stood outside of Owen's office trying to figure out which direction I came from. Deciding to go right, I turned on my heel only to run into someone. "I'm so sorry!" I rushed out as I helped steady the she wolf.