Twenty Two: Memories

As Oikawa walked into the classroom late, everybody's heads turned towards him, questioning looks on their faces.

"I'm sorry", the boy bowed lightly before heading towards his desk, followed by the others students' eyes. He really hoped that the blush had already washed away from his cheeks. He sat down and took out his course book from the bag, to at least pretend he was paying attention to the lesson. Making sure that nobody was watching him, he laid his head down and hid it between his arms. Letting the fringe cover his eyes, he tried to get rid of the recurring memory of your messy face. He clenched his fists, feeling the sudden tingling in his chest every time he was experiencing the vision. How long has it been this way? How many times has he experienced this unnamed feeling? When did it all start?

*Memories*

Second year of high school, Aoba Johsai vs. Shiratorizawa match. Finals of prefectural Spring High Championships. Score in sets: 3-1. Winner: Shiratorizawa.

"Shit!", Oikawa's frustrated voice clashed through the changing room along with the hard punch on the wall. The younger members of the club had already left the room, leaving the second and third years alone.

"Come on, Oikawa-kun, you've been repeating this word for the last fifteen minutes", one of the third years tried to calm him down.

"Because I feel like a shit", the chocolate haired boy replied, annoyed.

"Well, we'll be going, so hurry up", the captain announced, opening the doors. He seemed unbothered but it was obvious he was going to cry as soon as he would be alone.

As the doors closed, Iwaizumi turned towards Oikawa who was still standing by the wall with a big pout on his face.

"We still have the next year", he wanted to console him.

"Even now", Oikawa ignored him, "we can't win against him".

No matter how hard he tried, Iwaizumi couldn't hide his wince as Oikawa mumbled these words. He could seem unmoved but, just like his friend, he felt the frustration overcoming him. He also wanted to win.

We can't win against him and it's all because of me, Oikawa thought to himself, clenching his fists even tighter.

The reason he couldn't focus on the practices was obvious. And it was called "[Name]". For the last few months he had this unnamed feeling every time he thought about you. Every time he saw you, his heart would start throbbing. He was getting hopeless in the face of those messy feelings.

"I'll be going ahead", he suddenly announced, not able to stay at one place. He opened the door and left the room without giving Iwaizumi a chance to reply. But as soon as he faced the hallway, he saw a fragile, (h/c) haired girl leaning on the wall near the changing room. As soon as he recognised you, he took a step back, feeling a mix of embarrassment and shame overflowing him.

"Oikawa-san", you looked up at him, your eyes still red from crying. You knew how much he and Iwaizumi wanted to win against Ushiwaka. Even though you felt sorry for them, you still tried to hide your sorrow.

"[Name]...", the boy couldn't think of anything to say. He didn't know you came. And the fact that you saw him losing made him even more irritated.

"You were amazing", you spit quickly before Oikawa could say anything more. It was a consolation, but at the same time you really meant it. He was amazing, no matter if he was losing or winning.

Oikawa felt his heart clench in sorrow.

That's not true, he replied in his thoughts, but he didn't manage to say it. Instead, he sent you an apologising look and passed by you, heading towards the exit.

"We will win next time", he said and left you behind, dumbstruck.

Because I won't let you invade my mind anymore, he finished the sentence in his mind.