Chapter 15

Melanie's POV

I sat in a corner of the room I was kept in for who knows how long. Probably for another week or so. I was starved, barely hydrated, and hadn't had a bath since I got here. Every time I tried to escape, I was beaten by Alex's mother or by some guard.

Some days, I wished Alex did save me. But I knew if he came to save me, he could die. And I didn't want him to die.

I was too weak to mind link anyone or answer any mind link. Mainly because I had to conserve as much energy I needed to block everyone. I didn't need anyone to know how much pain I was in.

I was mainly beaten through these past couple days. I was bruised, red, and I think at least a few bones were broken.

"I see you're up, little bitch." Alex's mom hummed as she walked into the room. I didn't respond and just looked away. "Have nothing to say? No good morning? No hi?" She hummed again, walking closer to me. "Just kill me already." I mumbled.

Her footsteps stopped but I didn't want to look up at her. "That would be too easy. Your little mate would know you had died and wouldn't come looking for you anymore. And he'd still be alpha. So no. And plus, it's much more fun beating you."

I looked up at her, my vision blurring from tears. Any mention of Alex was painful, and I hated it. "Aww. Little pup is crying." She purred. I pulled against the chains and growled. She tsked but turned on her heel and started to head for the door that led into the room I was being held in.

"What is it like?" I asked. She stopped, turning slightly to look at me. "What?" She questioned. I just looked at her for a moment. "To be so mean? So lost inside your mind? What is it like, to know you're the sole purpose your own son feels so worthless? For twelve years, you broke him down, hurt him. Behind closed doors, behind his father. And now you took me. I knew he loved me and he was trying to get over the pain you caused him. And now, he's probably sitting in a corner, wanting to die. Because of you. You should be taking care of those you love. Of your family. You should—"

"Veronica?" A small, but powerful looking girl at the door asked. Alex's mom, who I now knew was Veronica, looked over at the girl. "What?" She spat. The girl jerked away slightly. "He's here.. your son." That's when I picked up on his scent. Alex.. oh no.. I thought to myself.

Veronica hummed happily. "He finally came. Took him almost 3 weeks to do it." She almost growled. I tried pulling on the chains again and tried to break free. But as always, I failed.

"Don't hurt him!" I cried, looking up at her. "Please. Do anything you want to me but just don't do anything to him! I'll do anything!" I yelled after Veronica, who wasn't listening to me and was just walking away. She walked through the doorway and closed the door. "No!" I cried.

Alexander's POV

A few days ago Isabelle had said we had a lead on finding Melanie. I wanted to leave right then and there, wanting to hurry as fast as I could to get her. But she had a point of needing to train our warriors more.

And now, I was able to get her. Be able to get my mate back. But to see my mother again, my abuser, after 12 years, I wasn't sure I could do it. I wasn't sure if I could face her again. But to see Melanie again. To see her smile and hear her laugh. That was my fuel to get her.

It took us most of the day to get to where Isabelle and the pack warriors thought my mother was holding Melanie. We had left at about 7 in the morning and got there at about 3 or 4 pm.

It was a run down looking hut. It seemed to be mainly made out of stone and wood, the wood slowly rotting away from the environment and possible termite infestations. The roof seemed a little caved in but half of it was made of stone, so it was still somehow holding up.