Chapter 14: When Did You Know

Rashad

Rashad

I stared out of the window while drinking my coffee. I didn't know what was going on, but I could feel that Joy was slipping away from me. I didn't expect her to easily get over my infidelity, but I didn't think things would get this bad between us. I knew Joy in and out, everything about her, and with each passing day we didn't seem to be growing closer, we seemed to be growing apart.

It was the day of our next counseling session and I had woken up early to finish my letter to her. There was so much that I needed to say and I hoped that my written words would finally get through to her. We were sleeping in the same room, but things were weird between us. Besides that one passionate night of sex after the concert, she really didn't want me to touch her. Sex lately with her, didn't even feel the same. There were times when I felt like she really wasn't into it.

"Hey," I heard her say from behind me in a tired voice. She was wrapped in her black satin robe and her scarf was still on her head.

"Want me to make you some coffee or tea?" I offered putting my own mug down on the counter. We normally met in the kitchen like this in the morning while the girls were still sleeping.

"Some green tea would be nice," she said as she moved around the kitchen to make herself something to eat.

I turned to our keurig and placed one of the green tea k-cups in the slot so that her tea could brew. I moved behind her and kissed her on the neck.

"What are you doing up so early?" She asked.

"I had to finish my letter," I said.

"Still a procrastinator," she chuckled tiredly while spraying a small skillet with Pam so that she could make herself some eggs.

"As long as I get it done," I said thankful for this light moment between us.

"Did you eat already?'

"I had one of those breakfast sandwiches and a banana."

"Okay." I watched as she began to cut up some vegetables and add it to the skillet with the eggs. "What is your day looking like?"

I leaned my back against the opposite counter and noticed her eyes traveling down my bare chest when I did. "I have a few meetings, but it's a normal day other than that. I'm leaving early to get to our appointment on time. What about yours?"

"I'm teaching two adult classes today and then I have a paint and sip class for teens at the Kerr YMCA in Wake Forest."

"Teens can sip?" I asked with amusement.

"Its all virgin mixed drinks," she said with a light laugh. "A volleyball coach hit me up wanting to do a bonding thing with her team and the girls decided that they wanted to paint so that's what they are doing in lieu of practicing." She set the skillet to the side and turned around to face me.