Chapter 40 - Michael

A/N - If a piece of dialogue has (') this punctuation mark instead of (") this one, it's probably a text message. BUT, if it's italicized, it's probably just something a character physically wrote down on a sheet of paper or something.

I didn't want the formatting to get ugly, or to be significantly altered because Mia and Michael text for a while here, but I think it's easy enough to read. Tell me if any part needs clarification ^^

---

'So to recap,' Michael texts me. 'This pack is full of a bunch of assholes who don't accept you as luna. An old man tried to kill you, but then saved you, and now he might've been executed by your lying boyfriends. And there's an enemy pack, but they may or may not really be the enemy?'

I shrug. "Pretty much."

He gives me a flat look.

"What?" I ask out loud.

He types fast. 'Let me get this straight, you thought your boyfriends were lying to you... so you went outside to their minions to get the truth?'

'Betas,' I correct, giving him a look.

He waves me off. 'They're their friends first, Mia. Friends lie. If there's a secret, no doubt they're in on it already.'

'Good,' I text. 'Then they're the best choice to tell me what it is.'

'No, they're the best choice to get you caught.' He glares at me. 'You weren't going to get anything out of them out there, other than alerting the triplets about your suspicions. Bad idea.'

'Well what else was I supposed to do?' I ask.

He shrugs. It's only now that he speaks out loud. "I don't know. Just not that."

It's my turn to give him a flat look. I'm about to start yelling at him, but then his face turns serious. Not serious as in angry brother mode. Serious as in he's got his thinking cap on, and if anything going on in that annoying head of his could possibly help the situation, I don't want to interrupt it. I can't afford to.

Without saying much, he gets up and walks over to his desk. He pulls out a sheet of paper, a folder, and a pencil. Then he sits back down beside me. "Okay, watch this." He props his leg up and puts the folder on it. Then he writes Aiden, Axel, and Carson in the center, in that order.

"The brothers," he says dramatically, just like that one Harry Potter character did—Luna's dad?—drawing the deathly hallows. Then, above each of the brothers' names, he puts one of the betas.' Or at least I think he does, because all that's on the paper are weird nicknames. 'That third guy,' 'Annoying boy,' and 'Krys and her blondie gf.'

'The minions,' he types this time.

I roll my eyes.

He doesn't seem to notice. Above Krys' name, he draws a line. It leads to something he scribbles quickly, 'The Bloodmoon Pack/Enemy?' Then he goes to the other side of the page.

Slowly but surely, the paper turns into a web of overlapping connections. Some lines cross. Boxes and other shapes appear as new nicknames continue to surface. He puts 'Old murderous guy,' meaning Mr. Reynolds, above Onai's name.

I raise an eyebrow, 'Why'd you put him there?'

Michael circles Onai's name before going back to writing. 'You said you met him when you were with Onai, so...' He gives me a sympathetic look.

I give him an angry look back. 'Stop it. There's no way they were working together.' I would trust Onai with my life. There's no way.

'Hey.' He puts his hands up in defense. 'Don't rule out the possibility. He is pretty close with that one friend of yours, Krys. The ex-Bloodmoon girl." He gives me a knowing look right before circling her name too. 'Sketchy, sketchy if you ask me.' He scribbles down, 'potential source of information... if still alive,' next to Mr. Reynolds' name and moves on.