7: Noah

Noah visited The Queue every day until Leigh arrived. It was ten minutes past three when she walked in, probably just after school. He was at the counter, waiting for his coffee, fingers drumming unconsciously. Then she appeared.

            It was cold that day so when Leigh walked in, Noah saw that she was wrapped up in a thick, navy jacket, hands stuffed into her pockets. Her hair was slightly windblown, cheeks kissed pink, body shivering from the cold. 

            Then she walked up to the counter and stood next to him, removing her hand from her pocket to reveal the coffee voucher he had given her. She smoothed out the wrinkles with her fingers and waited patiently to be served. Noah tried not to look at her; he didn't want to give himself away. But even if he had been staring at her intensely, Leigh wouldn't have noticed. She was too busy absorbing her surroundings.

            By the time she had made her order, an employee returned with Noah's coffee and donut. Leigh had disappeared to the back of the café, looking at the framed quotes lined up on the wall. While she was distracted, Noah looked at his food. Then, before he could change his mind he picked up a pen sitting on the counter, flipped the paper bag and wrote: For Leigh, From Noah.

            Noah adjusted his glasses as he leaned over the counter and requested the girl who was serving Leigh to 'give this to the pretty girl in the navy jacket and say it was from Noah'. He pointed over in Leigh's direction to make sure his donut was given to the right customer and then he left.

            At the library, Noah made do with a packet of chips he had gotten from a nearby vending machine and a granola bar he had found at the bottom of his backpack. The heating system at the library was having difficulties that afternoon, but his jumper and coffee were keeping him warm. 

            Noah wondered if she had enjoyed the coffee and donut. It had been an hour since he had left The Queue and she still hadn't arrived. Giving up his donut meant he had no sugar induced willpower to do his studies, but sacrificing two dollars fifty to maximise Leigh's experience at the café  was definitely worth it.

            After Noah had drank the last bit of coffee, he tossed the styrofoam cup into the bin and waited for her. Although he knew he was going to procrastinate, he took out his equipment anyways. The thought of productivity was just as good as actual efficiency.

            But as another hour rolled by, he started getting worried. She hadn't skipped a day at the library all year. Perhaps the coffee made her sick. Oh, God. Noah would never forgive himself if he was responsible for Leigh getting food poisoning. He was starting to regret mentioning The Queue.

            However, in the middle of his worrying, Leigh arrived, flustered and puffing. She didn't have any books in her hands and her jacket was off, revealing her senior uniform. She looked perfectly fine, if not a little tired. Leigh chewed her lip nervously as she quickly scanned the library. Noah hastily took off his glasses and pretended he was busy wiping a smudge, but in the corner of his eye, he watched her hesitantly drop a note on her desk and jog back towards the front of the library.

            Noah stared at the note for a good two minutes. He didn't want to grab it straight away, in case she was still loitering around, but something told him she made an abrupt exit. Nevertheless, he waited another few minutes before retrieving the note.

            Noah,

            I'm thinking about attending the local university just so I can have chai lattes and donuts every afternoon. They were amazing; I admittedly had seconds.

            The thought of Leigh at his university made his stomach squeeze.

            Thank you.

            I wish I had known you were there, though.

            Part of him wished that too. But he knew he'd introduce himself formally when the time was right.

            Sorry I didn't go to the library after.

            I had a last minute babysitting call.

            But enough about me.

            Tell me five random things about yourself.

            I'd like to get to know you better.

            - Leigh

            P.S. If this isn't Noah, I'm really sorry. Please throw this in the bin. Thank you.

            Noah started writing back his reply instantly.