Part 11

Characters: reader, Kurt (Steve), Grant (OC).

Summary: Almost three years have passed since that unforgettable night you spent with a mysterious man in a snowy cabin. When Steve unexpectedly walks back into your small town, a lot has changed for you both. How will your time apart and Steve's uncertain present affect the possibility of a future together? [Canon, events take place shortly after CACW]

Warnings: Fluffy fluff and stuff! Mild angst perhaps?

Word Count: 3.4k

Song Inspiration: The Night We Met by Lord Huron

A/N: She dropped the "d word"!! How do you think they'll handle it?? More adorable moments as a family and another revelation is coming. Ooooh. ;) At least a few more parts of this series coming! I adore you all! Any feedback is appreciated, thank you guys for reading, commenting, messaging, all of it. You're the best. <3

______________________________________

Previously:

"Uh uh, I'm not gonna rescue you. You know that drawing on walls and hitting is not okay. You should've listened to your daddy the first time," you scolded the boy.

Grant seemed to quiet then, his tear-stained face scrunched in confusion.

"Daddy?"

_____________________

"Um..." you trailed off, meeting Steve's eye.

He seemed just as surprised at your declaration, raising his massive shoulders in a shrug.

So you stalled. "You have one more minute, little mister, and then we'll talk, okay?"

Grant seemed to accept that in his confused state, so he sat back down. You paused with the sandwiches and pulled Steve back into the living room.

"I'm pretty sure that minute was up several minutes ago, so..." Steve mentioned.

"It's fine, he can't tell time yet, luckily. We need a minute ourselves. So...I guess I slipped up," you admitted sheepishly.

Steve grinned at you. "I guess you did. What do you want to do now? I mean, I always hoped he would know who I am at some point, but I understand your hesitation," he said, clutching your hand in his.

You took in a deep breath. "Well...I want him to know who you really are, too."

"Does he understand?"

"He does, to an extent. I mean, he knows that when his friends are picked up from daycare, sometimes it's the mommy or sometimes the daddy. He only has ever had me, so I think it still might be a little confusing, but...we could try introducing the idea. What do you think?" you asked, consulting with Steve.

He glanced toward the kitchen, seemingly weighing the possibilities. You were doing the same, wondering if it was wise to introduce such an important person in Grant's young life who, heaven forbid, might someday not be around anymore. Your heart clenched painfully at the thought.

Steve finally spoke again. "I do want him to know me. The thought of him calling me daddy, it just..."

You could see the tears pooling in Steve's eyes, causing your own eyes to prickle with a lump in your throat. "Then let's do it. The cat's out of the bag already, so let's try it out. He might not take to the title at first, but who knows?"

The blond squeezed your fingers with a grateful smile. "Okay."

Walking back into the kitchen hand in hand, you found Grant kneeling on the seat facing you once again. His sweet face was resting on the back of the chair with his eyes flickering to your joined hands.