Chapter 8: The Problem

The aroma of brewing coffee fills her nose up sweetly. It was overbearing at one point that she started to write about coffee. Not realizing it until she was almost done. Mariana really likes the café. It is a great environment for her to relax and work in. There is only a small problem yet, she is choosing to ignore it to the best of her ability.

"May I see here?"

Mariana lifts her head and is met with a smiling Jean. A small grin breaks out on Mariana's face. She's so happy to see Jean. Even though she hasn't know Jean for long, she feels like Jean is family. Family... Something she never truly had in life.

"Yes." Jean sits in an instant.

"How are you doing?"

"I'm doing well," Mariana vaguely answers.

"Oh, I'm going to need more than that. Tell me all the details. How did your day go with my nephew?" Jean questions mischievously.

"It went well."

"It went well," Jean deadpans. "That's it?"

"Yes...?"

"Was he at least kind to you?"

"Yes," Mariana responses with strength.

"Good. He better have, or I would have to make him pay." Jean crosses her arms with her chin tilting upwards.

Mariana giggles, "Don't worry. He was kind."

"Sweetheart, you have such a wonderful laugh. You should laugh more."

"Oh... Thank you."

"Now that I'm one integrating you, why don't you tell me what you writing."

"Ah. I'm writing a story right now. It's about-"

"Can I get you anything to drink ma'am?" Mariana is rudely interrupted by an employee.

"Yes. I want a chocolate-almond coffee," Jean answers.

"Will that be all?"

"Yes. Thank you."

"What about you?"

"I'm fine," Mariana mumbles.

"Are you sure? I can get you an espresso, a latte, maybe my phone number," the employee insists.

Jean is taken back by the young man's words. Mariana continues to look away. She doesn't want to deal with him. He is the problem. the problem she is trying to avoid. He won't leave her alone. he keeps pestering her about keeping in contact and "hanging out". The employee trying to make passes at her. Mariana feels so uncomfortable.

"Young man, where are your manners? You don't go around saying things like that to your customers. Show some respect. Leave her alone. She is not interested." Jean is very upset.

"My apologies. I just can't help it, especially her."

Jean is about to speak up again but, Mariana shakes her head. The young man walks away without a care in the world. Mariana grips her hands together. Digging her nails into her skin from how tightly her grip is. A small pang hits her chest.

"Will I ever be seen as a human with feelings?" Mariana questions with her voice.

"Has this been happening the entire time you've been here?" Mariana doesn't say a word. "Answer me, Mariana. Had he been bothering you this whole time?"

"Yes."

"I am not allowing this," Jean abruptly states standing up. "I will be right back."

Jean walks out of the cafe. Dialing someone she knows someone will fix this problem quickly. Mariana gets back to writing with confusion still lacing through her. Jean paces back and forth.

"Hello?" A voice rumbles out.

"Kage?"

"Yes, Aunt Jean."

"I need you to come to this cafe and fix this problem."

"What problem? I'm busy right now."

"I don't care. It is urgent! Now drive here or I will drag you here!" Jean threatens.

Kage sighs, "Fine. Which cafe is it?"

"Agot's Cafe."

Jean was starting to wonder if Kage was ever going to come by how slow he arrived. Jean is currently explaining to him what happened. Mariana notices him. Quickly looking down, she tries to busy herself again.

"This has nothing to do with me," Kage says with annoyance.

"Yes it does," Jean argues.

"No. It doesn't."

"Yes, it does! Now you listen to me. That employee has been bothering Mariana ever since she has walked through those doors. He won't leave her alone."

"I have work to do. This does not concern me nor is it important to me. I showed her around. I saved her yesterday and Wednesday and now you want-"

"Wait a minute, Kage. What do you mean you saved her yesterday and Wednesday?"

"Wednesday, she showed up at the dock to drop my jacket off and ended up drowning. Yesterday, a thief was trying to snatch her purse. Again, I saved her. She needs to deal with this one her own. I'm sure the employee is only making passes at her."

While Kage and Jean continue to talk, the number of coffees Mariana had over the course of the morning caught up to her and now she rushes to the bathroom. She comes back out after a couple of minutes. Mariana's back hits the wall harshly and squeezes the wound on her arm.

"Let go of me," Mariana softly demands.

"No," the waiter says. "Not until you go out with me or I get a piece of you."

Mariana shakes her head as he tries to kiss her. She struggles against him and attempts to slide down the wall to farther distance herself. After failing to shove the waiter away numerous times, Mariana kicks him in the shin and runs out of the café.

Mariana comes rushing through the entrance doors. Her eyes glossy, her hair shirt a bit disheveled, and her arm bloody. Mariana quickly tries to fix appearance and pull the sleeve of her shirt down. It's too late. Jean sees her bandage covered in blood. Kage's eyes are in flames.

"Did he hurt you?" Kage seethes out.

"No."

"Did he touch you?" Kage asks louder this time.

"No."

"Then why is your arm bleeding?! Why is your bandage soaked in blood?! Huh!" Kage screams out.

All the people in the cafe are watching the scene unfold from inside. Their eyes are wide at seeing Kage explode. All knew better than to intervene. Kage couldn't believe she would try to pettily lie to his face; even though it is clear as day. He couldn't believe she would lie to cover the harasser's tail up just so she won't have to deal with it.

"I'm sor-"

"Why are you apologizing for what someone did to you?!" Kage's veins are starting to pop out of his neck. "Where is he?!"

"Inside. He's the-" Jean starts to answer but is cut off by the problem.

"Excuse me, folks. Please go somewhere else if you're going to act like this," the young man says as he eyes Mariana's backside.

Kage doesn't even say a word. He knows it's him. Kages lunges at the boy and punches him. Jean rapidly pulls Kage back. Mariana stands in place, not knowing what to do. Jean pulls Kage away and towards his truck. Calling Mariana over so they can leave as fast as they can. Before Kage gets another opportunity to hit the boy.

"Don't you ever touch her again! If I catch you as so much look at her, I will-"

Mariana blocks out the rest of Kage's threats. Glancing back, she sees some customers coming out to help the poor boy up and off the ground. He keeps his eyes on the ground. His left eye swollen shut. Purple and black standing out in color. Mariana looks away, feeling slightly bad. Shaking her head, she rushes to help Jean pull Kage to his truck. Ignoring her soaked arm and the stinging sense.