She's Awake Y'all

(Carl POV)

When I walk into the cell, Hershel and Beth are already there and dad is staring down at Ally. Her eyes are open. They shine against the bright light as she stares up at dad. Her hair falls into her pale face as she struggles to do, or say anything.

But she can't. It hurts her.

"She's alive." I say, breathless, because before I was losing hope. I was just so used to losing people, I had already mentally prepared myself without realizing it.

After that, everything seemed to slow down in time and it was just Ally and I. I stared at her, realizing how much I like her, and how much I can't live without her. She looks back at me and tears fill my eyes.

Soon, I'm kicked out of the cell and it's only Maggie, Beth and Hershel that remain. I stand back, staring into the cell, though I can't see anything.

"Come on." I only tear my eyes away from the scene when a hand is placed on my shoulder. I look up at Dad who's staring down at me like I'm some sort of lost puppy. "Come on, Carl. Let's go wait in the other room." He tells me softly.

I look back at the cell, then at dad who drags me away.

~~~
(Daryl's POV)

The only reason why I went on this run with Glenn, Carol, Merle and Michonne was because I needed to get my mind off of Ally. Plus, the group wouldn't let Merle go without me being there, so I stepped up to the plate.

We didn't get as much as we were hoping for, but we got what we needed. "Aye," Merle nudges my shoulder. "You okay, little brother?"

I shake my head. Of course I'm not okay! My daughter is dying!

But I don't say anything. I haven't said two words this whole entire trip. Instead, I walk over to my bike and hop on. We all agreed to go back to the prison now, which was about time because I needed to check up on Ally. Even if she dies, I want to be there to comfort her.

When we get to the prison, no one is outside to let us in. "Aye!" I jump off my bike just before we reach the closed fence. "What gives?!"

Glenn stops the car and they all pile out. "Why is no one on guard?" Glenn asks aloud. Carol shrugs, walking up to the fence to get a closer look.

"Maybe something happened..." Michonne speaks and in that moment I wanted to smack her upside the head, but instead I don't show her any emotion.

Just then, Beth comes running out of the prison, towards the gate where we were waiting. "Sorry!" She speaks, a wide grin on her face. She opens up the gate and I hop on my bike again.

"What are you all smiles about?" I ask her.

Beth grins at me, making me a feel a bit uncomfortable. "She's awake."

In two seconds I'm on my bike, speeding towards our cell block. I hear Glenn cheering behind me, but I don't pay attention to him in this moment.

I ditch my motorcycle, running up to the prison. Once I'm inside, I see Maggie, Hershel, Rick and Carl, standing there waiting for us. I stare at them, looking for answers.

"She's alive." Hershel announces. "She woke up four hours ago, but I gave her painkillers that made her fall back to sleep. She'll probably wake up in about two hours or so."

I smiled at him, feeling the relief run through my body like a waterfall. Ally was going to be okay.

"You can go see her if you'd like." Hershel smiles softly at me.

I nod, heading towards the corridor. Rick grabs my shoulder before I can walk past him. I look at him and he smiles at me. I smile back and nod my head. Ally and I are family to these people. And they really do care about her.

I walk inside the cell and Ally is asleep, facing the wall as she lays on her side. I slowly inch towards her, scared she'll wake up and totally hate me for leaving.

She probably does hate me.

I hold her hand and soon I'm softly crying, not being able to control myself. I almost lost her and now she hates me. If she died, I would have never forgiven myself on how much of an awful father I've been to her.

"I'm sorry, Ally." I cry. "I'm so sorry..."

But I know no apology can make up for what I did to her. Ever.

~~~

"What are you so bummed out about, little brother? Miss the group already?"

I don't answer, continuing to walk through the woods. I've made my decision to stick with Merle, even though that meant leaving the whole group behind. Leaving Ally behind...

I can't get her out of my mind. She is better off without me... Isn't she?

"Was it a girl?"

Not the kind you're thinking of, Merle. Though, I don't say it aloud and again I don't answer.

"Come on, little brother, talk to me."

I sigh, staring at the leaves crunching underneath my boots. "You know Ally?"

Merle hesitates, staring at me like I'm crazy. "Your daughter, Ally?"

I nod, keeping my eyes on the ground. "She's alive."

Merle stops. I turn to face him and slowly lift my head to look at him. He's staring at me, trying to decide if I'm being serious, or if I'm just going crazy. "Daryl... You lost her years ago..."

"I know." I nod. "But I found her again. She's at the prison."

Merle looks at me like I've gone mad. "And you left her?! For me?!" Merle gives me a disapproving look and I stare off at the ground again. "Little brother, that is the stupidest idea I have ever heard!"

I shrug. "She's better off without me." I say quietly, refusing to make eye contact with him.

"Stop talking shit!"

And we do end up going back. But not because Merle told me we should, but because something wasn't right, and I could feel it.