Chapter 29 - Her Name Is Anna

"Sam, it's me," the woman said, touching my elbow gently.

I didn't turn to face her, my face buried in Michael's shoulder as I carried him, still covering his ears, screaming. "I don't know you," I whispered as the alarm beeped twice and stopped.

Behind us, Erik emerged from the clinic doors, with Olivia right behind him. She was holding the car keys in her hand, unlocking the doors for me.

"Livvy, go back inside," I heard Erik say as he approached.

The woman everyone called Miss Marlin looked at me with wide eyes, the realization of my words sinking in. I could not hide the panic from my face, the world I'd tried so hard to recreate crumbling now in the wake of her appearance back in my life. Why here of all places? I wanted to scream at her.

When Eunice helped me get my juvenile record expunged, I saw it as a new beginning. It mean that the past would no longer be the only reality I knew. I had a chance to reinvent myself and I did. But it also meant that I stayed in the South Bay, never venturing north of the 105 unless I really had to. That way, nothing from my past could touch me.

Until now.

"You're looking really good, Sam," she said softly. "But I understand. I'm sorry for everything. I really am."

"Anna, what's going on?" Erik asked as he finally reached us. "Why'd you run away like that?" He stopped and looked at Anna, then to me and back.

"Do you know each other?" He asked.

Before I could reply, Anna shook her head. "I thought she was someone I knew, Doc. But I was wrong and I'm afraid I scared the poor baby."

Erik turned to look at me. "Are you alright? You looked like you saw a ghost back there."

I nodded, pulling open the car door and buckling Michael in his car seat.

"Can I meet you back at the consultation room, Anna?" Erik asked. "I'll be right there."

"Sure, Doc," Anna said before turning to look at me. "Look, hon, I'm sorry I scared you like that. You just reminded me of someone I used to know. She was just as pretty as you."

"Maria's getting your prescription ready, Ann," Erik said. "I'll meet you inside, and we can talk more, okay?"

"Okay, doc," Anna said, walking away. I could feel him right behind me, waiting for me to straighten up. I'd been tightening the buckle to Michael's seat belt the entire time, not turning to face him.

"We might be close to skid row, Sam. But my patients aren't dangerous," he said. "I know she scared you, but you didn't have to run away from her like that."

"She just scared me, Erik, that's all," I said. "Is she one of your harm reduction patients? Is she detoxing?"

Erik smiled. "You know I can't tell you what she's here for. But since you know that's all I'm doing today, then I don't really need to give you an answer now, do I?"

From the corner of my eye, I saw a black BMW drive into the parking lot, and park into one of the spots marked Physicians Only. From the window, I could make out Maria's face, along with another employee, watching us.

"Your walls are going to start talking soon," I said as Erik turned his head to look at the building. Then he turned back to face me.

"Then let them talk all they want," he said, drawing closer. "I'm not ashamed to be seen with you, Sam, no matter how much you tell yourself that I am - or that I should be."

Then before I could say anything, Erik kissed me in full view of the clinic - including Serena, who was coming out of her car. It was a gentle kiss, but it lingered much longer than was necessary.