Chapter 58: Finding My Friend

The food tasted amazing, but I didn't want to stay long. After we were done, I asked to be excused. Mother didn't mind. She didn't even reply to me when I stated I wanted to go back out. I left, feeling relieved to get away from her and the place. Once outside, I headed in the direction of Emmit's house. I felt sick, but mentally sick only. I thought about my father and how in any way was this something my mother should have enjoyed. If karma was the right thing, and he was finally getting what he deserved then why did I still feel bad? Why DIDN'T I want this? I should have been happy. He never loved me. He left me when he had the chance, and if he had loved me, he would have fought for me.

Once again, I appeared at their house faster than I realized. Time did move fast here, and apparently, I did too. A crystal clear moon shaped appeared in the sky while the sun was still out, but the sun wasn't going down.

"Did you get a room yet?"

I looked above me and saw Emmit hovering over me. I took a step back to give him space to land. He landed adequately but seemed concerned about something.

"Uh, not yet," I said. I did my best to sound like I wasn't nervous. Sadly anxiety doesn't even go away in different worlds. Not even this one. 

"Hmm," he nodded with his eyes glued to me. "You were in there a long time. Did you speak with Morphan?"

"Not long," I said. "She was showing me the foods they had here."

Emmit threw his head back with laughter. "Good one! Only those closest to her get fed. Not that we starve anyway, but that's special treatment here."

I shrugged. "Well, I don't know. I just got here, remember?"

He smiled. "Yeah. I remember. Well, if you can, stay on Morphan's good side. Maybe you can help us out, you know?"

I nodded, giving him a serious look. "I know. Now you have to tell me about the place."

He was about to take my hand, but I pulled it away. "Can we talk out here? I don't feel so comfortable up-"

"Relax," he chuckled. "We're going up. Way up above the house."

Emmit took me by the hand. This time my hands smoothly slid into his, giving me that soft and warm feeling again. His hands felt impossible, unlike anything I've touched on Earth. My feet left the ground, and we rose up. Higher and higher. Higher than the houses until I was able to see many homes and The Lovely Suicide World itself round off to other parts. It was absolutely breathtaking.  

"I know what you're thinking," we stopped going any further up. I glanced at Emmit looking down at the world underneath us. We were sky high. No clouds, no wind, just this crystal-like sky of light green and faded blue. "I thought the same things when I came here. The children came to me, not at my weakness, but at a time where I was succeeding in life."

Confused, I looked up at him. "You were happy on Earth?"

He gave me a weak smile. "I was about to graduate college as an art student. You know those moments when you're okay, but something somewhere tells you that you'll fail and you get anxious? Something tells you that it won't be the way it seems. Imagine being told this each and every day, over and over. Feeling anxious then letting that anxiousness lead to depression then letting that depression not get you out of bed at all or even motivate you. You're stuck. You feel as if your world pause, and you lost direction. Know what I mean?"

"Yes."

"When I came here, I knew that The Lovely Suicide Children had its good and also its bad," he went on. "but it's bad only got worse in worse. The bad ones here are able to go to Earth willingly, whispering in the minds of humans that they'll fail on Earth so they should come to this world. There's nothing lovely about The Lovely Suicide Children except those who are rebelling here to help those on Earth, which can  cost us our freedom and a painful time here."

"And-" I hesitated. "What does Morphan do here?"

He looked in the direction of my mother's home. "She makes sure the suicidal commit suicide, the families feel guilty, and that the one who pushed the person to commit suicide suffers on Earth. There's no win. And those who end up here, she sends them to cause more hate and pain. The cycle repeats itself each day. Adults run this place, only the spiteful who wishes revenge on the world. Morphan is doing a perfect job, but she's becoming smarter, and we're losing our folks who get caught."

"What can people like you do to protect those who need it?" I asked.

"Mmm," he then sighed. "We can't kill them, so we have to have our people keep them where we store all The lovely wicked ones. Some of them become like us then there's those who never change. Those who are caught by Morphan get sent to the trees where they're forced to watch a person they loved live their lives. It hurts. It's messed up. It's wrong. She needs to be stopped, but we don't know how to stop her. The spiteful shouldn't be here, even if they committed suicide. I promise to do what it takes to stop her, even if it means taking on that pain and being punished in a way I could never imagine for the rest of my...life. Or whatever this is."

Why did a part of me feel scared, frightened, and mad? He was talking about taking down my own mother, yet she was evil. I should have understood that. Shouldn't I have? As I was thinking, Emmit lowered us down. 

"Where are the trees?" I asked him.

"They come out at night," he said. "But no one wants to be around them. You don't want to see Morphan come out of one of those. Some of ours went out to scout there...and they have never returned. I was lucky. I was fortunate."

I nodded my head then looked him in the eye. "I will do whatever it takes to help you take down Morphan and to stop the madness that's here. However, I think I need your help."

He raised an eyebrow. "When?"

"Tonight," I said. "I need to find my friend. His name is Robert Parker."

***

Since everyone asks about writer's block. I wrote this about it on my blog www.horrendouswrites.com Hope my article helps! The link is in my bio and on my wall for those dealing with it!

I'm also featuring some random people in the comments on my blog tonight. So comment to be able to be seen on my blog! Doing this often :3