A Wild Ride

Chyna awoke with a start as Cap came running into Ellison's old house

Chyna awoke with a start as Cap came running into Ellison's old house. "Rise and shine! You got a long day ahead of you!" He called. Chyna sat up in her cot and looked up at him groggy and confused.

"What are you doin' here? An' up earlier than me? Its not even sun up Cap." Chyna groaned. "My Pa wants to talk to you." Cap said, Chyna hopped out of bed as fast as she could. "Oh no what'd I do now?" She asked.

Cap grabbed her hand and pulled her to the satchel in which she kept her few belongings. "Not tellin, now hurry up and change." He said puling out clothing items and tossing them at her.

Chyna ran across the grassland with Cap up to the Hatfield Homestead. She huffed and puffed at the back door. Looking up at Cap for an explanation but Cas lips were sealed.After catching her breath Cap lead her inside.

Anse and Levicy sat at the supper table, and were chatting lightly. Something Chyna had not seen between them in a long while. He even managed a smile or two. Seeing them this way caused Chyna to smile. Cap cleared his throat "Brought her, Pa" he said.

Anse stood up and walked to them in 3 long strides, "I aint gon' make no big ceramony outta this." Anse said, Chyna could feel her nerves screaming. "You're gon start back up at thr Mill. We're short again." He said.

"And you need her help." Cap tagged on, Anse pointed athim with his pipe "don't push it boy." He warned. Anse sized Chyna up "now go back to my brother's and change intobsome trouser." Anse ordered. Cap ran up the steps and grabbed a pair of pants he was going to hand down to Robert E. and hurried back down the steps.

Cap shoved the pants into Chyna hands "lets go on back" he said leaving with her quickly.

Cap watched chyna get dressed, she fumbled hopelessly with a belt, the pants were much too long having belonged to Cap they were sewn for a tower. "Here I'll help ya."  Cap said, he grabbed a hold of the belt and fastened it. Chyna rolled up the pants and her sleeves. "Boy is Cotton gonna be glad to see you back with us out there" Cap said, grabbing her hand, the two headed out together.

Chyna snapped the sweat from her brow with one finger, she and Cotton had veen shortening the logs for hours. The steam from the new machinery Anse had ordered thickened the already misty air.

Clint gave her a toothy smile and a nodd as he lead the horse drawn cart containing more cut trees for shortening. "you work like a little mule." Clint chuckled.

High above the logging operation, on the cliffside hidden in the brush, Paris and Sam lurked quietly. Paris had placed the telescope onto his riffle. Chopping down hard on his tobacco and concentrating hard. The light mix or rain and snow that was falling hindered his view a bit a he zeroed in on Anse.

Below, Cap and Jim were returning from cutting trees and currently on break. From up on the hill Jim spotted a glimmer. He tapped Caps sjoulder and nodded innits direction. "About time aint it?" Jim murmured. Cap swung his riffle off his shoulder and took aim towards the hill.