Chapter 32: The Mystery of Samael

Months passed without any disturbances. Lily practised angel summoning alone, in order not to frighten her course-mates with the appearance of Samael. She had already learnt a lot since she got in the academy, so she had decided to enroll in the Yearly Angel Host Tournament. In this tournament, even the lecturers participated - when students would finally defeat one another, the last opponent was a lecturer who had volunteered to fight. Only if the student was strong enough to beat the lecturer, they would earn the title of a champion. 

Lily knew her sister had defeated the headmaster of the academy back in her times, as Michael was one of the strongest angels who could only be opposed by Samael. So now she knew - since Michael's Hostess had already graduated, thus Michael didn't participate, the victory would be hers. Hence, she didn't worry that much. In her free time, she often fought Johan to practise her moves, as well as help him improve his fighting tactics. The two youths had already become good friends and Johan even called her 'big sis'. Amiel, Johan's angel, had grown a lot stronger too, as Johan made great progress.

After months of study, practice, and playing, the date of the tournament drew near. Actually, it was held that very day, so Lily was in her room, making final preparations. Incubus, who often visited her during these months, was already sitting in her room.

"So, you're saying you will be off this whole day?" he asked.

"Yes. Samael and I have to win this tournament," she clenched her fist, "I'm already sixteen, the age at which my sister became a champion. Now it is my turn".

"Well, you won't have any problems - father is the strongest angel out there. Only Michael can match him, and now when he's a guardian his powers are a little decreased, while the Angel-and-Host Bond doesn't apply to Samael since he's not a guardian type. So, practically, right now, he's even stronger than Michael. That is why he won the duel months ago".

"Oh, really? I knew he was strong but, I didn't know the Host Bond didn't apply to him..." Lily grew sad, "That means he can leave me whenever he pleases?"

"Well, if we speak theoretically, yes," Incubus shrugged, "But practically, it's impossible, since father loves you more than anything. He would never leave you".

Lily beamed, her heart relieved from such encouraging words.

"Thanks".

"No problem. I'm just telling you the truth. If I lie without father's permission he's going to kill me, for sure". 

Incubus laughed. Lily giggled too.

"Don't worry. I'll cover up for you".

"Nah, no use - he'll just talk nicely to you and then make me mop the floor in hell".

Lily laughed hard:

"You're so funny!"

"I'm a demon of dreams and illusions. Dreams can take any shape. I can be both funny and horrifying".

"I can't imagine your being horrifying. You're such a cute little boy!"

"Haha," Incubus laughed and scratched the back of his head. "But honestly, I hope you'll never see my horrifying face, Lily".

He gained a grim look. Lily now got truly frightened:

"Um, yeah, I hope so... Samael's true face was already frightening enough".

"That's just one of his true faces," Incubus chuckled, regaining his childish gaze. "All angels have one transformation - their basic self. Twelve great archangels have a second form. But the two most main archangels, the twins - Michael and Samael - have the third one too. The transformation you saw in the duel, of both Michael and Samael, was the second one. When they reach the third one, their powers go ultimate. However, as Michael has a Hostess now, his powers are decreased to only second transformation. If he unlocks the third one around his Hostess, she will die, which he shall never allow to happen. Samael has the same restriction, as he guards you, but the difference is that Michael cannot draw the full power even from his second form, while Samael can".

"Wait, so, you're saying he can be even more terrifying than that?!"

"Yes," Incubus grinned proudly as if the word 'terrifying' was an appraisal, "and he can be ten times stronger, too. That is why, in the meantime, father is stronger than Michael. Michael has his power source cut in order not to affect the human hostess' body. Samael's restriction is less than that of Michael's, since Michael is a guardian type, and father is not. However, while he remains your guardian, he won't be able to unlock his third form, which in hell we call the Form of Satan. The second form is called the Reaper of Hell".

"So, his third name, Satan, comes from his third form?"

"Yes. You, humans, named him 'Satan' when you saw his third form. However, it happened only once in history".

"Oh... and when?"

"Well, when the saviour was sold for thirty silver coins..." Incubus shrugged.

Lily widened eyes in dread. Sweat poured off her forehead.

"Oh... But, why did he need to unlock it?"

"To... To fight off Layla".

"Ah... So who's this Layla you both talk about?"

Incubus, realising what he had just said, zipped his mouth:

"I... don't know".

If his father found out he had said too much, he would kill him for sure!

"Why do you keep hiding it from me?" Lily grew sad.

"I'm sorry..." Incubus sighed, "Father forbids me to talk about it. It's just slipped off my tongue".

"It's fine..." Lily shrugged and stood. "Anyway, I've got to go to the ring now. The tournament starts. See you later, after we win!"

"See you! Would say 'good luck' but I know you won't need it!" 

Incubus winked. He turned into a raven and quickly left the room in order not to be seen by the Academy guards, since he was a demon.

Lily walked out of her room and headed towards the ring, sure of her victory.