prologue.

CHLOE SAT AT HER DESK FINISHING UP A CASE FOR ONE OF HER COLLEAGUES

CHLOE SAT AT HER DESK FINISHING UP A CASE FOR ONE OF HER COLLEAGUES. It was a long day for the blonde and she was counting down the minutes until she could go home. For the past hour, her eyes drifted from the paperwork to the clock on her computer screen waiting for it to hit five. When she finally finished the paperwork, it was close to being time for her to go home. A sigh of relief escaped her lips as she leaned back in her chair, her eyes closing.

Before her eyes could fully close, she heard her name being called out which made her groan and get up, swiveling her chair around towards the voice. Chloe was met with the eyes of the receptionist who was motioning for her to come over. Reluctantly, the girl got up since she had finished all of her work and sat down in one of the chairs next to the receptionist, June. "What's up, June?" She asked leaning back once again wanting to relax for once that day.

"I just wanted someone to talk to, and I saw that you were in the state that you are in when you're done with work," June responded with a glance over at the blonde private investigator before she went back to her doodling. "Before you ask, your state is when you lean back in your chair and throw your head back. Learned it over the years you have been here."

Chloe raised an eyebrow at the girl who she was fairly close with. Ever since Chloe's first day, June had been there and was the first actual person to talk to her rather than ask her to do some dirty work for them. They grew close over the years and were more like sisters than anything else. "Or, you learned it because you sit here and wait for me to get done with something so you can call me over to talk." The two blondes gave each other the same look before they started to laugh.

Everyone in the office turned to them which made them quiet down before the boss ended up coming over and telling them to get back to work. Chloe's eyes once again went towards the clock seeing that it was almost time to finally go home. "Wanna go get some drinks tonight or we could stay at my place and watch movies?" June asked after dropping her pen and turning towards her bestfriend. June and Chloe lived in the same apartment building just across the hallway to each other. That's how they really bonded at Chloe's first day of work.

"You have a date tonight that you aren't going to cancel or forget about." Chloe pointed at the girl and raised her eyebrows. "I worked hard to get that guy to ask you out because you have been swooning over him ever since you started here."

Right when June went to respond, a phone's ring caught their attention. Chloe's office phone was ringing which made her whine and get up. She acted like she was throwing a tantrum by June, but acted completely different right when she walked to her desk. She sat back down in her chair and picked up her phone with a deep breath, "This is Chloe Ellis."

"Hi, uh, my name's Steve and I need your help." The voice went through the phone making Chloe nod like they could see her.

"Of course, would you like to come into the office, do a phone meeting, or would you like for me to make a house call?" Chloe asked grabbing a post-it note from her stack and writing down the name Steve while waiting for the client's answer.

"Do you happen to know where the Avengers Headquarters is?" Chloe looked up from her note and gripped onto the phone with her eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"Yeah, I do know where that is. Is that where you would like to meet?" She got ready to write down Avengers Headquarters when he replied with a yes making her confirm her writing.

"Could you possibly meet me there in an hour?" He questioned making Chloe write down six o'clock after looking at her clock and seeing that it was finally five.

"See you in an hour." She reassured the man over the phone and hung up after they said goodbye. Chloe had her eyes locked on her notes seeing that she was about to go to the Avengers Headquarters for a meeting over tracking down somebody. Something that she never, ever thought that she would do. Her eyes met June's when instantly she knew exactly what was going on with Chloe having a meeting soon.

The blonde gathered her things and started walking towards the elevator, looking back at June with a smile. "Don't forget about your date with Mr. Hottie tonight. Call me afterwards and let me know how it went." At the same time, the elevator doors opened making Chloe walk in and turn facing towards her bestfriend. June did a salute towards her causing the both of them to laugh once again, only for it to be shut down once the elevator doors closed.

———————————————

The rain hit the windshield leaving Chloe aggravated. It started to rain on her way to headquarters and to say she wasn't scared was an understatement. If anything, the girl was terrified as to what was happening. Her radio was turned off so she was stuck in her thoughts and the silence. The only noise was coming from the car or the rain which seemed to calm her nerves.

As she pulled up to the large building her eyes traveled up and down the building. She was taking it all in, taking it in that she was actually there. Over the years she had drove to work, from the distance she could see the tower with the 'A' on it.

Upon her arrival, someone was standing outside the building looking as if they were waiting for her. The car came to a stop and in an instant he was by her car causing Chloe to roll down her window. "Are you Chloe Ellis?" He questioned her which caused her to nod. She unlocked the car and looked around the place.

"We going in or staying in the car?"

"The car." Within those couple of moments, he went to the passengers side and climbed into the car as she rolled her window back up. She turned her car off and looked towards him.

"What do you need done?"

"I need you to track down someone. Find out what you can, find him, follow him, and call me with updates."

She nodded and turned to face the building as she fidgeted with her hands. "I need a name and I'll go to work."

The two looked at each other before he finally answered, "James Buchanan Barnes. He goes by Bucky." Chloe sighed and grabbed the post-it note she was using earlier and wrote down what he had just told her.

"I'll do what I can. In the meantime, don't go looking for this guy. Let me see what I can dig up and then you can take over all you want." Chloe nodded towards Steve which made him return one to her and start to get out of her car to go back in.

"Also, don't let anyone know who you're going after. This stays between us." He remarked. She wasn't able to answer before he closed the door and walked back into the building.

Chloe was left in her car with an assignment no one could know about. It was up to her to finish her job so she wouldn't have the nerves that came back as soon as he left her car.