Chapter 15: The Offer Still Stands

Joy

Joy

"Are you trying to kill us?" Tanya asked Phillip. He had us doing this weird bootcamp-like high intensity workout. We were both disgustingly soaked with sweat. If I didn't have to do another push-up, pull-up, or burpee in my life, I wouldn't care.

"This is good for you," he said laughing as he paced back and forth between us.

After our last set of push-ups, we both dropped to the mat. He squatted between us. "Give me a two-minute plank and we can call it a day." He said in a soft voice. I didn't know if I had any strength left to lift my body from the mat, let alone hold it in the air for a two-minute plank. "You can do it," he encouraged. "Up."

Tanya and I lifted our bodies off the mat and steadied our weight on our forearms and the tips of our toes. Immediately my body started trembling and the burning in my arms and shoulders was past the point of pain. My body had gone numb and drips of sweat began to leave my forehead and fall on the mat.

"I want to drop," I told them both in a strained voice.

"Don't drop," Phillip said in a soothing voice, still squatting in front of us. "You can do this."

"Ughhhhh," Tanya growled. I looked over to see that she had closed her eyes and her body was shaking as bad as mine.

"One minute down, one minute to go," he informed us.

"That was only one minute!" Tanya squealed.

"I can't make it," I said shaking my head. I felt my sweaty arms slipping underneath me.

Phillip lowered his head close to mine, "you're stronger than what you think you are." He said the mantra that he had been drilling into us for the past month. "Think about your daughters, envision them watching you right now. They want to see their mommy win."

I closed my eyes and began to envision Aylen and Kiana. I wanted to raise strong girls so I began to focus on finishing because I wanted to be an example to them.

"Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, and one. Drop." Phillip said and began to give us a slow clap. "That's what I'm talking about. That was another great session." He said giving both of us a high-five.

"It was a good session for who? You?" Tanya said wiping her reddened face with a towel.

"You'll thank me later," he said with a chuckle.

"As usual, I have to go," Tanya said already walking away from us. "I'm always late getting back to work after these work sessions. I'm glad we're training in the afternoons from here on out. See y'all later." She said and then ran off to the locker room.