Chapter 9: Accidental Touches

Mariana is covered in a layer of sweat. Her arms are hurting. her breathing comes out in little puffs. Mariana only has five logs of wood cut in half. She still has fifteen more to go. She's spent a half hour on just the five. The weather is starting to drop. Autumn surrounds all and before you know it, it'll be winter.

Mariana decided today would be a great day to chop logs of wood. She can start using the fireplace soon and she wants to be prepared. She never imagined it would be this difficult. Rei continues to watch Mariana struggle from inside her house across the street. Rei feels bad. She's also heard everything that has been going on with Mariana. She couldn't take it anymore.

"Uncle Kage?"

"Yes, Rei."

"How are you?" Rei questions over the phone.

"I'm fine. What's wrong Rei? Did something happen? Are you okay?"

"Nothing. Everything's fine. I'm fine."

"Then what is it?"

"Are you doing anything?" Rei crosses her fingers.

"No. Not anything right now."

"Can you come over? Mariana needs help."

"Mariana?"

"Yes!"

"What does she need now?" Rei frowns at his rude tone.

"She's struggling to chop wood, Uncle Kage."

"I'm not helping and that's final."

"But-"

"No. She can-"

"She came to me asking for your help," Rei lies to try and persuade him.

"She did?"

"Yeah. Her arms are hurting, especially the injured one." Kage stays silent at hearing this. "Can you please help her?"

"How did you find out about her arm?"

"I saw it when she came over and asked about it."

"Oh... Well-" Kage sighs in exasperation. "Fine."

"Really?"

"Yes, really."

"Great! Thank you, Uncle Kage!"

"You're welcome."

Mariana puts her hands on her knees and bends down in exhaustion. 10 minutes have passed and she's halfway done her seventh one. The roar of an engine catches her attention. Forcing herself to stand up straight, she looks over at the road. A truck pulls into Mariana's driveway. Realizing whose truck it is, she starts to fidget.

His strides are long and powerful. The light sunlight given through on this cloudy day shines on his face. Muscles bulging against his sweater.  Mariana is struck in awe at his appearance. It is cut short when he stops in front of her and talks.

"Did you really need me to help?"

"What?" Mariana asks.

"You told Lydia you needed my help."

"No, I didn't."

"But-" Kage pauses then huffs out in annoyance. "Rei."

Both remain silent. Neither knowing what to say to each other. Looking at the wood and Mariana, Kage passes her and picks up the ax. In one swing, the half-chopped wood is split into two. Mariana mouth slightly hangs open. Not wanting to be a burden she intervenes before he is able to chop another one.

"It's okay," Mariana says placing her hand on his trying to grab the ax. Realizing, she immediately retreats. "Sorry... I didn't mean to touch you. I can finish this."

Kage stares at her for a moment and continues on. Mariana just moves backward, watching as he slices the logs of wood with little effort. He finishes soon. Not a bead of sweat formed yet.

"W-Would you like something to drink?" Mariana stutters. Kage just stares. "Or eat?"

"No."

"Thank you." No response back in that regards.

"Is there anything else?"

"N-No." Mariana immediately looks at the ground from his piercing eyes. "Y-Yes. The washer is-isn't working properly."

Kage and Mariana make their way to the entrance. Opening the door, both move at the same time. Their bodies brushing up against each other. Quickly stepping back, Mariana softly apologizes. Kage is the first to enter.

An half hour later Kage finishes fixing the washer. Mariana walks over to him. Only to discover his white t-shirt soaked from water. It clings to him. Kage looks up to find a weird faced Mariana. He couldn't tell what she was feeling. One thing is for sure, she is staring intently at his body.

"U-Uh... Wait here!" Mariana rushes out. 

She comes back with a towel in hand. Extending it out towards him, Kage takes it and nods in thanks. His fingers brushed against hers. Making a faint warmth spread through her.

Kage puts the towel to the side. He pulls his clinging shirt off. Mariana holds her breath. He is a sculpted beauty. Mariana sees a scar on the lower left side of his abdomen. It starts from his v-line and drags up diagonally 3 inches. Haunting memories flash through her head. Sucking in a breath, she looks away. Kage ignores Mariana's recent assessment on him and dries himself.

"You can sit down. I'll put your shirt to dry," Mariana offers softly.

Kage hands her his shirt and goes to take a seat on the couch. He looks around. She's given the home a warm and cozy feeling to it. That's one thing he could definitely tell. He didn't feel uncomfortable or out of place.

Mariana comes back, going to stand in front of him. Not realizing her shoelace is untied, she trips. Landing right on top of Kage. Mariana's hands are pressing against pectorals. Their noses are touching. Breaths mixing in. Neither move. Mariana is able to choke up words after a minute.

"I'm s-so sorry! I didn't mean to. I really didn't. I'm sorry. Are you okay? Are you mad at me?" Mariana blurts out in a rush, mumbling the last part.

Kage clears his throat before speaking. "I think I should go. I didn't plan on staying long anyway."

Kage stands and throws on his sweater. He grabs his keys and leaves without another word. Mariana is alone again. He didn't even care to grab his shirt. She feels wrong. She feels somber.

"I should have been more careful," Mariana says to herself. "I'm always doing something wrong. Am I worth anything?"