xxv. clashing ideas

Vanessa's POV

WITH AXEL behind me, I entered Eric's not so secret room with all variety of technologies inside. Jamie sat where Eric used to sit, in front of a big monitor with all different codes visible on the screen.

"Any update?" I asked Jamie, who's busy typing codes.

After a few more clicks, she turned her ergonomic chair to face us.

I saw disappointment in her face.

"I tried to do it again." She glanced at Axel. "Axel was helping me to trace it but," I heard her groan.

Based on her actions, she looks more disappointed at her capabilities for not solving this problem than the result of what she and Axel did.

"But what?" I crossed my arms and walked towards her, leaving Axel.

She shook her head.

"It's a ghost."

No way.

"No image recognition. No fingerprint recognition. No data background in the system." She looked at me with full disappointment in her eyes. "It's a damn ghost."

"No." I disagreed with her. "It's not a ghost."

Confusion was evident in her eyes. "What do you mean, Queen?"

Instead of answering her, I bent over and typed on the keyboard some of the codes I know. If it's a ghost in our system, then there is a fucking possibility that it is not ghost if we will not use our system.

The screen glitched for a few seconds until it started to show different government identities and ran through them.

It was so fast yet I wasn't shocked at all when it matched the fingerprint of one of the civilians.

"Wait . . . paanong . . ."

I turned my back and looked at them both.

"Meet Liezel Cruz, the obsessed bitch who won't fucking leave the hell out of me."

Napaawang ng bibig si Jamie; can't believe what I just said. "I-It's a civilian, Queen. Paanong . . . paanong nangyari ito? She knows you? How--"

"I don't know what her damn problem is but Eric and I knew about her for almost a month." I stared at Axel who's been quiet since we got here.

"She's the one who has been following me." I entered something on the keyboard and it revealed all the footage that Eric got with Liezel Cruz in it; obviously watching me.

I saw Axel's jaw clenching. I know what you're thinking.

"She's got a gun . . ." I heard Jamie say while staring at the CCTV footage where Liezel Cruz was pretending to be a customer while Axel and I were talking to our wedding coordinator, Camille. That was before I got an information that an arson occured in one of my properties.

"Eric says she's an assassin. A newbie perhaps." Hindi nawala ang tingin ko kay Axel.

"If she really is an assassin, then why is she a ghost in our system?" Jamie asked.

"Because she was not given the title by the Mafia Intelligence yet." Axel answered the question for her.

Axel starts to walk towards us, with a much more deeper and deadlier expression.

"Unofficial assassins like her tend to hide because they are afraid to be caught by the MSA."

The Mafia Security Agency.

"Once they are caught . . ." Axel stared back at me. "They will be given a death sentence. Worse, they will burn them alive."

"They do it to assassins like her. Ghosts. MSA thinks they are a threat, people who work for the government who will bring downfall to the Mafia Industry."