25

Ok, vampires? For real? That was a leap of faith too far.

But those crimson eyes.

I could see Anne's difference, the golden haze, her life-force. It was difficult to doubt the evidence of my own eyes.

Thomas had no visible life-force. And yet, there was no denying it. I could feel his power; a heavy thrum of energy in the air, like the very molecules were changing in reaction to his presence. I had witnessed his speed and strength, and they were beyond anything that was natural.

I hadn't felt any fangs when we'd kissed, though.

Anne broke my reverie by yanking me up next to her. She backed us towards the door that led downstairs, the only place that remained safe from Thomas.

"Wait!"

In the blink of an eye he was behind us. We both turned to find that he was blocking our escape route.

"Let me explain."

"Don't speak to us," Anne said sharply.

Turning to me, she whispered "We're not safe. I'm not strong enough to protect us. I should never have been able to bring him in here with the family's wards in place. It doesn't make sense."

The squeaky panic in Anne's voice was infectious. My hands begin to shake. A cold sweat broke out on my forehead. My flimsy robe trembled around my legs as my vulnerability made me shudder. I looked between Anne and Thomas, unable to stand the tension.

One of them had to act for better or for worse.

Thomas moved away from the door slowly. He raised his hands, palms up.

"I think you are more powerful than you know," he said in a steady, low voice. "I've never experienced a force that was capable of incapacitating me like that, and I've been around for a while," he added with a grin. "I have no intention of harming either of you. The very opposite, in fact."

"Shut up," Anne screeched, "and get the hell out."

"Hang on a minute," I interrupted, ignoring the heat low in my stomach at the sight of his smile. "Let me get this straight. You're a vampire? What the hell Thomas, it better not be infectious."

Looking from one to the other, their incredulous expressions brought a flush of annoyance that washed that warmth right out.

"You can't catch it from kissing. Is there something you need to tell me, cousin?"

"No," I spluttered, heat roaring to my cheeks.

"We have a connection," Thomas said, with a finality that was more of a challenge than a reassurance. "Nothing else matters now, I know you Alice, and I need to make you safe."

"Um, I don't think so, I can look after myself."

They both laughed.

Bastards.

Thomas's words did not fit with the course of our relationship so far, if it could even be called that. I was beginning to wonder what his agenda was. Why he was so eager to be with me?

After Stephen, I wouldn't be fooled again by a man's attention. Someone like Thomas would never be genuinely interested in me, vampire or not.

I could feel my face harden, as I realised that I had already begun to fall for Thomas's charms. Shame on him, but more so on myself, for allowing that to happen

"You can't deny what's between us. You can't keep your hands off me," Thomas grinned smugly.

I let out a contemptuous snort of disbelief. Suddenly I didn't care if he thought me unladylike. "Don't flatter yourself. That was a mistake, and I only started it to distract you. You need to watch that temper, Thomas. No one likes a bully."

"Bully? Can you blame me for wanting to look out for you, when you keep putting yourself in dangerous situations? From the first time you knocked on my door, you've been vulnerable, not even properly dressed and wandering round the corridor. I could barely control myself when you followed Evan back upstairs. I gave you space then because you seemed to have something going on with him, but not anymore, Alice. I need to protect you. I could not continue living if anything happened to you. You will not deny that there is something between us."

He took my hand, and held it firmly, another challenge.

Who the hell was this guy?

Glaring up at him, I seethed with anger. Another man trying to dupe me, and with such clichéd sentiments. The most bitter fury was saved for myself. How could I have been so weak as to admire him?

For God's sake, I even kissed him! I was an idiot.

"You don't know me," I said, bluntly. "And I'm not responsible for your well-being. You'll continue along just fine with or without me."

I had felt something between us, but I knew now that it wasn't real. It was orchestrated by Thomas, no doubt for some agenda that had yet to become clear. What I felt was physical attraction. Thomas was the most beautiful man that I had ever seen.

My weakness for a handsome face disgusted me.

"You can't be together," Anne said quickly.

All her attention was absorbed by Thomas and his confession. She hadn't noticed my change in attitude.

"It's too dangerous, what happens when you get hungry?"

"Yes, what does happen when you get hungry?" I asked, my voice dry and bitter.

"You must know that I would never hurt you. Or anyone that you cared for."

"Yeah, right," Anne said. "Look vampire, you need to leave now."

"That is not going to happen."

Body relaxed, Thomas sauntered over to the wall and lent against it, trying very hard to maintain a casual appearance. The air was became dangerously thick around him as the oppressive buzzing sound increased in intensity.

Why wasn't that bothering anyone else?

"Arrogant leech," Anne spat.

Thomas shrugged, the insult ricocheting off his resolve without a graze.

Anne's golden life-force grew in strength in direct proportion to her anger.

Power radiated from both my companions.

We were at an impasse.