𝟎𝟏 | 𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐠𝐲𝐧𝐲

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄 | 𝐀𝐔𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐘

SOMETIMES, MEN DIDN'T DESERVE RIGHTS.

Smashing a glass bottle into Jerome Butler's head was often on my mind. He was unpleasant to the brink of becoming creepy, and he sought to assert his dominance whatever chance he had, yet he appeared to have a special fondness for me for a reason I understood all too well. He thought I was exotic, he always made it a point to share that, as if my brown skin existed for the purpose of fetishisation.

He was a proud pain in the ass, but I didn't cross lines with him when he was also the second-in-command to Alisha Finley's leading company and fuck —did I fawn at that woman's feet for her contagious intelligence and resilience, hoping one day I too would find my standing.

Finley Consolidated took pride in making significant advances in developing cutting-edge sectors like biotechnology and boasted subsidiaries across the United States as well as internationally, having bases in Canada, and more prominently in Russia.

Its main office was located just outside of Terence Square and could be spotted among all the huge monoliths, great big glass walls and doors that piled on top of another, and stood branded with a streak of its signature gold right at the top. It wasn't easy to not take notice of its prominent presence, when it was plastered all over the media and was one of the tallest buildings.

I was deeply immersed in the division of modern biotechnology. My position gave me a seat at the table when it came to quarterly meetings, access to all our labs in Pennsylvania, and being a young woman of colour that was every bit as rewarding among a sea of balding men who were too busy perusing the length of my legs —to actually focus on any of Alisha's words.

"What might we have planned for the coming quarter in terms of events?" Alisha questioned broadly. "Anybody?"

She pointedly looked at me, suggesting I speak up. Over time she and I had built some rapport, and I didn't take it for granted either because a lot of strings had been pulled for me to be here today.

I met Alisha's brown gaze hesitantly, as she awaited for me to step in, her hand on her hip while she switched off the parabolic reflector behind her.

"Well?" Jerome pressed. "What is it, Smith?"

The man he was expecting to step in was shamelessly sharpening a pencil and only looked up when Alisha scoffed and looked my way again, clearing her throat.

"I have a suggestion." I finally breathed out a puff of air and spoke up. "The first regional Pharmaceutical Conference and Expo was such a hit in Philly, it makes sense to have a repeat, though perhaps on an international level and dress it up as a Benefit too."