10. The Reason of Life

Some announcements before starting the chapter:

Due to the complexity of the city of Palisia and daily life of the main characters, I've added a chapter called Info About Palisia, which is at the top of the table of contents underneath the Characters chapter. Please check it out. Also, check out the Characters section for new characters. Thank you.

————Break Line————

What is my daily morning routine? It's simple. Each morning, my pleasant slumber is disturbed by the alarm on my phone. Then, I would drag myself out of my bed, get dressed, and go brush my teeth and wash my face in the washroom. That is how I would usually do things. Not this morning though.

When I woke up, I didn't hear the familiar sound of my phone alarm. In addition, the familiar scenery of my room is also absent. What replaced it instead is a different room. It was a room that is dark, with the only source of illumination from a computer monitor that is on. However, the light is obstructed by the computer chair and the boy who sat before the monitor.

"Piece of shit," the boy cursed as he slammed his fist on the desk. "Fuck this game..."

"Um..." I announced my presence with a weak voice so as to not startle the boy as I reach a hand out towards him.

"Oh." Upon hearing my voice, the boy slowly turns his computer chair around so as to look over at me. "Finally awake?" His voice was masculine with a hint of fatigue and frustration laced into it.

From the faint illumination provided by the computer monitor, I can make out only the snow white hair of the boy. The shadows shielded his face from me, making it so that I'm unable to see his face clearly except for his azure blue eyes that seems to shine in the darkness.

"Um...where am I?" I asked him. "And ugh...who are you?"

"I'm The True God," he said as he got up from his chair, walked over to the nearby wall, and flips a switch such that the light turns on in the room.

With this newly acquired illumination, the boy's face became clear. His facial features are exquisite and quite handsome, even to a guy like me. Staring into his light blue eyes, I seemed to have fallen into some sort of a trance since I was dazed for a good second or two.

So who is this boy before me? He looked quite young, maybe about eighteen to twenty years of age in appearance. However, he seems to be surrounded by a mature aura, and when combined with those tired and bored eyes of his, one could only wonder how much those eyes and the owner of those eyes have seen and been through.

No one in my memory fits the descriptions of this boy, so who could it be? He did say who he was earlier...I think I just discovered something really bad...

"Wait what?!" I looked at him in surprise. "Y-you're God? B-but aren't gods supposed to be an old man with a beard?" I scanned his young appearance for any hints of the above mentioned features and came up empty. "You don't have any of those!"

He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck with his left hand.

"Who says gods have to look like that? I'm God. That means I have the power to take any form I want."

"B-but why this?" I slowly forced myself up from the ground after having recovered a bit from the shock and surprise of my meeting with God.

"Because it's comfortable. I don't want to deal with any body aches so I chose to take the form of a young adult. And I chose to be a guy because I don't want to deal with periods."

"So even you're bound by the laws of nature."

"You wanna die?" God glared at me.

"I'm sorry..."

"Now let's get on with the topic at hand," God sighed and slumped back down on his computer chair. "You failed your first mission yesterday, right?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "Aren't you supposed to know it all?"

"I was to busy playing video games," God pointed with his thumb at the monitor of his computer. "So I usually have the angels take care of assigning the missions."

"Angels? Angels are real?"

"I mean I'm real," God said in a tired voice.

"Right..."

God sighed once again as he leaned his head back on the backrest of his computer chair. Looking over at the chair, I suddenly became quite jealous of God since his chair looks so much more comfortable than mine.

"I didn't expect Ralus to send you those high difficulty missions." God reached over to his desk and picked up his phone before scrolling through it. "I thought they were normal missions when I was texting you."

Even God has a phone...OMG. I wonder what his service provider is...

"So you're telling me I've been receiving the harder than normal missions?"

"I would think so. The only mission I personally sent is the one for you to hold hands with that girl. The rest I left to Ralus."

That was you? The mildest mission of them all was you? I'm so sorry that I used to think of you as a bad person. That mild of a mission and you even helped me by breaking the vase. Thank you God.

"...So how does that relate to me being here?" I looked around God's room, marveling at how ordinary it looks when compared to the religious texts. "Wait...So this is Heaven right? Does that mean I'm dead?"

"No." God placed his phone back onto the desktop. "I just wanna talk to you for a second."

He looked me in the eye.

"First, I want to explain to you why I'm doing this," he said. "I said before that I'm bored—well that is part of the reason why—but I also wanted to see how're my creations doing. It's part of my graduation research you see?"

He just said graduation research right? What is this? Are you telling me God goes to school and has homework assignments do? Is this really our creator?

"So ugh...let me see." He turned his chair around and began searching through his computer. Then, he pulled up a screen with a foreign writing on it. "My assignment was to help your creations. So that's why I chose to help you. It's easy and fun at the same time. Why do you look so depressed all of a sudden?"

"I mean...being told that the world you live in is created for homework is kinda devastating to be honest."

"Don't worry. Even though I might not look like it, but I do care for you guys."

But you haven't intervened in the world in the past five thousand years...

"So the reason why I called you up here today is to apologize for those high difficulty missions and the low payout," God said as he reopened his video game window on his monitor. "Just know that I've scolded Ralus and things should be better from here on out."

So you're still not gonna handle it yourself...

"So that's all for now," he waved his off hand in the air without turning around to see me off. "Go back."

A bright flash of light suddenly appeared from before me, blinding me and forcing me to close my eyes shut. When I reopened my eyes, I discovered that I'm in the familiar place called my room once again. In the background, the beeping of my phone alarm continued on. Slowly, I pulled myself up from my bed and turned my alarm off.

Suddenly, I received a notification. It was from God.

Just wanted to check if you've got home safely.

"So it wasn't a dream..."

I feel tears forming in my eyes as I confirmed the truth about this world that I live in. It is a school project.