(19)

The next morning Lydia woke up before it was light out and when she felt the firm naked chest that was pressed against her back, she was grateful that she'd stirred from her peaceful sleep.

Carter's arm was draped across her waist, his heavy breathing fanned the top of her head and she thought back to last night when she'd rolled around in the sheets with him. Their bodies exploring one another, their mouths tasting every inch of each other's frame.

She expected there to be some sort of regret when the high wore down. But it wasn't there. She enjoyed it, she wanted to do it again. With him.

But when she lifted the phone from where it rested on the mattress beside her, she saw that it was almost six and her parents would be home soon. She couldn't risk them seeing Carter.

The bed shuffled beneath her as she rolled over to face him. Much to her surprise he was already watching her with a tired grin and narrow eyes. His hair was messier than usual but he still looked adorable.

"I know," he murmured, closing his eyes again. "I gotta go."

"Sorry, I don't think Nathan finding us like this would be good for either of us."

"Hell no," Carter chuckled and rolled on to his back, the sheets slipping down his torso as he stretched his arms above his head. "Your step Dad could kill me with his bare hands and I feel like he would."

"Yeah," Lydia giggled. She curled up on her side and watched as Carter flicked the sheets back. He sat up and picked his Calvin's off the floor, sliding them on before he stood.

The hint of morning light was starting to filter through the window but it wasn't enough to see more than his silhouette as he got dressed. She thought it was a shame, she loved admiring his chiselled frame last night.

After he was dressed, Lydia climbed out of bed in just her bra and underwear. Carter was much less subtle about his staring than he had been before and even then it had been obvious.

"So I'll pick you up tonight?" He asked as she flicked her window latch and pushed the glass panel open.

He swung his leg over the frame and Lydia's teeth began to chatter as the cold air hit her like a brick wall. "Y-y-ye-ah."

"Fuck, it's freezing out here," Carter sucked in a sharp breath and glanced over to his car which he'd covered last night. It might have been iced over otherwise. He dropped to the ground and turned around, pulling Lydia down by the nape of her neck. His lips met hers in a soft but stirring kiss and for a brief moment, the cold was gone.

"See you at school beautiful."

As much as she would have loved to watch him until he was gone, she couldn't handle the temperature for another second longer. She pulled the window closed and made a mad dash for the shower in hopes of heating back up.

"Hello?" Lydia answered her father's phone call at lunch time. As usual she sat at the far back corner cafeteria table with Allison and Sadie.

"Hey sweetheart, how are you?"

"I'm good. You?"

"Not bad, not bad," Grayson replied dismissively. "Hey listen, do you want to come and spend the weekend with me? I feel like it's been a while."

"Oh, um. I can't tonight Dad. But I suppose tomorrow would be fine."

"Oh. Okay cool. That sounds good. We'll get some snacks and stuff. Watch some movies?"