13. Trip to the Temple

A/N: Should I have author's notes on every chapter? I'll respect your votes on this 😘 For now, enjoy a longer than usual chappie!

~•~

Winter finally settles on the imperial city, bringing with it a blanket of snow and misfortune.

It's been one year since I first arrived in this world. I feel my body changing day by day, inch by inch (😏). My long black hair was overdue for a cut and my chest ached terribly from an unexpected growth spurt (much to my delight and dismay- delight because well, YAY go me, dismay because it would be more difficult for me to pretend to be an eunuch).

I was no longer the Jin Yuan Bao who was nervous and jittery, always unsure of what to do, how to serve and where I belonged. I was more certain of my actions, even adopting some of the confidence exuded by the Director himself. In fact, just recently, I'd been promoted to the position of Head Eunuch under the DPA (aka Director of Palace Affairs), responsible for leading a small team of younger, much less experienced eunuchs *smug, so smug right now*-

"Xiao Jin Zi, pour me some tea."

...😑

Then again, some things never change.

Director Lan chose this day to announce that we would be going on an extended outing to the temples of Mount Wu Tai. Of course, it wasn't because Lan Shen Yu had suddenly discovered his conscience or that he'd miraculously decided to leave this earthly pilgrimage and start a new life as a monk. He was going there for Lian Hua Si (Lotus Temple), a grand new project commissioned by the Emperor. Director Lan's western plant was under strict orders to oversee the building of the temple. Should everything go smoothly, the work would only take a few months to complete.

I seat myself next to the Director in his fancy horse drawn carriage, cupping a brass hand warmer in hands. My breath collects in white puffs, and the tip of my nose stung from the icy cold air. I close my fingers around the warmer tightly, unable to stop shivering.

Contrary to his usual garb, Lan was wearing a white fur wrap over his padded navy robe. He lounged against the window, eyes closed as though resting- but I knew that he was well aware of his surroundings. One thing I've learnt about the Director is that when he wasn't asleep, he was always alert. Sure enough, the corners of his lips deepen as he somehow manages to feel my stare through closed lids. I quickly avert my gaze, looking down at the porcelain terrarium beside my foot. I wondered if turtle-san was hibernating by burrowing himself deep into the dirt, or if he was in fact too embarrassed by the cosy I'd knitted for him. Naw, I personally thought the mutant ninja turtles running along the sides of the terrarium looked quite dashing.

With a sudden jerk forward that almost had me falling into Lan's lap, the carriage started moving and we were on our way. It took us one whole month to get to Mount Wu Tai. I ended up vomiting a few times from the bumpy ride, much to the scorn of Director Lan.

In the end, our roles appeared to be reversed as he helped me out of the carriage, offering his arm for me to cling to. Of course, his kindness wasn't free; in exchange, I was forced to give up a months' worth of salary to add to his collection of gold ingots 😢.

I glare daggers at Lan while resting my entire weight on his arm (hey, might as well get my monies' worth). Lan glances at me out of the corner of his eye, his lips curving into a disdainful smirk.

"Xiao Jin Zi... if you keep staring at me like you want to kill me, I'll take away another bag of coins."

I fight the urge to bite down on his arm, though I doubted he would be able to feel anything under the thick cotton padding of his sleeve.

Collecting myself, I smile brightly up at the Director, stars shining from my eyes.

"Can the Director not feel this humble servant's burning respect for you? How could you mistake my look of reverence for murder?"

My lower lip trembles convincingly, as though deeply hurt by his words.

Lan snorts, too lazy to respond to my act. Instead, he drags me towards the mountain base. My jaw drops at the sight of wide stone stairs that meandered around the mountain, disappearing into the tall, misty peaks.

Too convenient to be coincidental, a couple of strong men carrying a chair lackey come to a stop in front of him. He raises an eyebrow at me, stepping lightly onto the lackey and settling in.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Sure enough, his next words plunge me into deep waters and scorching fire (Shui Shen Huo Re).

"Follow me closely, Xiao Jin Zi." He orders in a tone that came from the depths of a bottomless abyss. "All the way to the top."

Lan Shen Yu turns towards one of the burley men, long lashes lowered over stormy eyes. He adjusts the white fur around his shoulders and smooths a thick quilt over his legs, a dazzling smile gracing his bloodless lips.

"Make sure there's no pitstops along the way." Director Lan taps his fingers on the armrest, jade and gold rings clinking against each other. "After all, we're running short on time."

I wrap my arms around turtle-san's terrarium, shedding silent tears into the half frozen dirt.

Dear Buddha, when will this humble follower's luck change?

Buddha smiles down at me, shaking his head. Powdery snow falls from the sky, and I can't help but question how long it has been since Buddha last washed his hair. Erm, I suspected he needed to use some anti-dandruff shampoo.

(Buddha: you mortal dare disrespect me? *shakes fist* You know I have no hair!!! 😡)