Chapter Forty-Two

The white and gold, big courtyard of Cong Wei Yang was deathly silent. After last night rain, the courtyard was riddled with puddles and leaves leaving the courtyard seemingly desolate.

Within the main room of the courtyard a female lay on the bed, attached to it were brown sachets of herbs. By the side of the bed was Cong Wei Yang faithful maid Yu Yan, Kuchen the now Feng doctor and Da Fan.

"The Madam ran into the rain last night. She currently has a very serious fever."

Da Fan paid no attention to Yu Yan's words, she just look down at Cong Wei Yang with enmity weighing heavily in her eyes.

"Just what was the First Madam doing outside in the first place? Wasn't the Madam supposed to be resting her room?" Da Fan spoke sharply looking at the maid.

Yu Yan trembled at Da Fan's sharp words. "Forgive me, Second Madam, the First Madam wanted to speak to Master."

Yu Yan bowed and kneeled on the ground knocking her forehead against it. Yu Yan smiled contemptuously, times gone she wouldn't have to act this way.

Da Fan looked at the maid behaviour and sneered. Speak to Master? She can't even look at him and she wanted to speak.

"If the First  Madam wanted to speak to him she should ask. Husband is not here, everyone knows that. Why should the First Madam ask to speak to the him? You are the servant, aren't you?"

Da Fan saw Yu Yan looked away and knew that this was another one of Cong Wei Yang's plots.

"Second Madam, this servant tried to stop the Madam but was overpowered by the Madam."

Da Fan narrowed her eyes, "Why didn't you call for the guards?"

Yu Yan looked shocked at Da Fan question. "I was afraid of harming the First Madam reputation."

Da Fan scoffed, did this servant really think she'd believe such a story?

"Kuchen, please treat the First Madam as best as you can. If you need medicine, send someone for it."

Yu Yan bowed, "This servant thanks Second Madam for her kindness."

"No kindness. We can't have persons saying that the Feng House isn't treating  the First Madam well."

Da Fan has no intention of entertaining Cong Wei Yang's antics. Even a child can plan and seek attention better than this First Madam. Da Fan watched silently as Kuchen poked around Cong Wei Yang.

"As the servant said, the First Madam has a serious fever. I'll prescribe several medication for it. I can't promise that her brain haven't been affected by the fever."

"As I said if you need anything for the First Madam just ask."

"Thank you Second Madam." Yu Yan spoke again.

Irritating, that's what she is. Da Fan eyes Yu Yan and ignore the girl once more. Yu Yan who had her head bowed missed the looks that passed between Da Fan and Kuchen. It was the look of something promised to come.

Da Fan exited Cong Wei Yang's courtyard, meeting Meirin halfway to her courtyard.

"The guards?"

"Taken care of Mistress. They were spies of General Cong.

"Are they? Make sure General Cong cannot find them."

Da Fan was well aware of her feelings. Right now, she's not sure if Feng Huang has her in his heart, but that doesn't mean she does not have him in hers.

"Let's get ready. I have the Empress banquet to attend.

____________________________________

"Madam Feng, be careful of your step."

Da Fan stepped off the carriage with the help of a servant. Pressing her lips together she gaze up at the imperial palace.

"Mistress?" Meirin called to Da Fan.

Taking her gaze away Meirin came to Da Fan, leaning down to whisper in her ear. Da Fan smiled, closed her eyes then opened them again.

"It will be an entertaining show indeed." Da Fan clutched softly at her dress, lifting the skirt so that it doesn't drag.

"Wait in the servant's quarters, I'll call you when I'm ready to leave." Da Fan said to Meirin.

Meirin nodded and left. Da Fan on the other hand followed a palace servant to the banquet hall.

The Empress banquet is like a holiday dedicated to the Empress. Deemed as the mother of the nation, the current Emperor had dedicated the day and banquet to his Empress. He wanted to show that no matter what the Empress is always in his favour.

This is the first time Da Fan is attending the banquet. Previously, her father had a low position and was not invited.

Da Fan sat  beside a noble woman that she had become acquainted with. From start to finish the woman's mouth did not close. She talked about the identity of the people of the banquet and also about rumors circulating the capital.

Da Fan used the fan in her hand to cover her mouth suppressing a yawn.  Using the fan as a cover she took a peek at the Empress. Compare to Feng Huang, other than their eyes, he mother and son bore no resemblance to each other.

Da Fan took her eyes off the Empress to answer the woman beside her question.

"Second Madam, it seems the First Madam is not with you? Is the First Madam at home and not with you?"

Da Fan could hear what she is insinuating. Why is the First Madam at home and not with you?

Da Fan care not for the woman and didn't care when ears seem to lean to hear her question.

"The First Madam was ordered to rest by the Old Madam. The Old Madam is concerned that the First Madam might affect the mood if she came."

Da Fan picked up a glass of wine to avoid any further question.  As the banquet drew to a close, several guards burst into the banquet hall. The entrance doors slammed heavily against the wall frightening the ladies to scream.

"Who allowed you to come in here!" The Empress jumped up and roared at the guards.

The guard captain fell down on one knee bowing to the Empress.

"Forgive us Your Majesty, His Majesty the Emperor calls immediately the presence of one of your guest."

"We're all women here. We have no entitlement to the matters of the court. Who is this person?" The Empress asked.

"Madam Mo!"

I was literally crying tears having to type this by my phone. The next chapter might not be up till Tuesday. Please don't mind the errors. I have no computer to send this to edit to my editor.