Four

Deep breaths.

One...Two...Three...Four.

Benjamin puts on his light wash skinny jeans, followed by one of his moms' old school hoodies. He puts on his Air Force Ones.

He smiles at his outfit, feeling good about himself. He puts in a different septum ring, followed by stud earrings. He grabs his chapstick, deciding to not do makeup.

He walks downstairs, smiling. "Hey, mom. I'm headed out."

"Okay. Be safe. Love you."

He smiles, walking out of the house. He grabs the pill bottle filled with antidepressants, which weren't his own. He takes two before walking to his bus stop.

*

Noah sits down next to Benjamin, "What the hell does this mean by interpreting Jackson's meaning from the book?"

Benjamin shrugs his shoulders and points down at the worksheet. "It just means, explain what you think Jackson meant."

Noah shakes his head, still not understanding. "Wh-."

Benjamin grabs his own worksheet, passing it to Noah. "So what I wrote was-,"

Kiara walks into the classroom, smiling at Noah. "Hey, Noah! Come here for a sec?"

Noah glances up at her before back down to the worksheet in his hands. "Um...no."

Benjamin laughs and continues, "I said, I think Jackson's feelings were hurt. He felt like things should've been said. He was being ignored and abused. By writing the book and producing a movie, he was showing how...how angry and depressed he was".

Noah smiles, "You're adorable when you're passionate."

Benny blushes, clearing his throat. "So. That's what it means to me."

The bell rings, Benny, smiling to himself. "Okay, class. Discussion time."

*

"I think it was his way of expressing his anger and depression. Not to sabotage his family, but to show his feelings."

Some kid faces Benjamin, "So using the script, 'unloved and hated. That's all wasn't rude?"

"I mean...If you were abused for ten years, and then abandoned, you'd probably get in that perspective."

The teacher nods, "Why do you think Benjamin is wrong?"

"Because. Yes, maybe this was his way of expressing his anger, but why not do it an easier way...like confrontation?"

Everyone looks at Benjamin, "Maybe this was his way. He didn't want to face the people who completely destroyed his life."

The bell rings and the teacher stands up. "Okay. Next week, we will watch an interview Jackson had about his movie. He explains the meaning behind it and then we'll have another discussion."

Benjamin stands up, gathering his things. He grabs his coffee, throwing it away. Noah runs up to him, "Wanna walk to class together?"

"Sure."

Noah smiles, "So. What are you like?"

Benjamin looks down at his feet as he walked. He shrugs. "What do you mean?"

"By the two days I've been here, all I know is that you're gay, feminine, and kinda cute."

Benjamin chuckles and looks up at Noah. "And you're straight, calling a gay boy cute?"

"Hm...who said I'm straight?"

"You like drool over Kiara."

Noah shoves his hands into the pockets of his basketball shorts. "Interesting. See you at lunch." He waves to him as he walks into his classroom.