(22)

Lydia felt grateful for the tinted windows of the mustang. There were people swarmed around the two cars that were lined up at the starting point.

The cheering was loud and excited as the opposing engines revved in preparation. Carter remained unfazed, appearing calm and casual as he rested a hand on the steering wheel. The other on the gear stick as a cigarette hung from between his lips.

His focus was hard and calculated as he stared at the road in front of him, his foot pushing down on the accelerator causing the car to rumble and shake.

A tall girl who miraculously wore a respectable amount of warm clothing, stood a few meters in front of the cars, her hands raised above her head as she waved a small red piece of fabric.

The anticipation was building, the crowd becoming louder, the revving of the engines more fierce. Carter took a long drag on his cigarette before he threw it out the window and at that moment, the 'flag' went down and Carter slammed the car into gear.

Lydia jolted back against the seat as the mustang roared down the strip. She glanced across at the other vehicle which was a GSR. A decent car with the right engine work and driver. But no match for something like this. She watched as it's hood got further and further behind them.

Carter moved through the gears, slamming the stick into place as his foot kicked the clutch. He glanced up at his rear view mirror and smirked at the sight of his competition in the dust.

"You good?" He asked Lydia, his focus unwavering as he watched the black road ahead of him.

"Yeah," she affirmed with a breathless voice. It was a thrill that's for sure. But she was loving it more than she thought that she would. She'd spent a lot of time around classic cars. She'd even driven them a time or two. But this was an entirely new experience.

They were coming up to a row of barrels in the road that served as the end of the line.

"Hold on," Carter grinned and Lydia gripped the door handle, bracing as Carter used the breaks to guide them through his next move.

The nose of the car hovered inches from the barrels as the tail of the car swung around with squealing tyres. When it was turned right around and facing the direction that they had come from, the car whipped from side to side until it straightened up.

Carter didn't waste a second, letting the handbrake off and hitting the gas, lurching forward and passing the GSR. Lydia let out a whoop of excitement and clapped her hands together as Carter laughed at her enthusiasm.

The car sped towards the starting point and the strip was clear of people who watched from the distant edges. As they passed the starting point Lydia cheered, throwing her hands in the air. Carter slowed the car down and turned around, parking out of the way as the GSR came in second.

"Good luck charm huh," Carter unbuckled his seat belt and leaned over, giving her a firm kiss, his tongue lapping at hers for a mere few moments.

"You'd have won anyway," Lydia grinned but she loved that he gave her some of the credit.

The two of them stepped out of the car and swarms of people were on them in an instant. It was all about Carter. He received high fives and bro handshakes from the dozens as he made his way around the front of the car so that he could embrace Lydia. She felt safer with his strong hold around her waist.

It wasn't long at all before the next race was arranged. And the crowd started to disperse again in anticipation for the next rival vehicles to go ahead. Carter leaned against his hood, Lydia standing with her back to his front between his legs as they watched the goings on.

"I didn't get a chance to ask if you enjoyed yourself before we got bombarded," Carter chuckled low and soft beside her ear, his arms crossed in front of her stomach.

"I loved it," she admitted with a blushing smile.

The two of them stood against each other, embraced in an affectionate hold as they watched the race commence. Lydia's gaze wandered around and a break in the crowd revealed someone that she knew well, sitting on the tray of a pick up truck with a boy between her legs; someone else that she knew well. The two of them were all over each other, kissing and fondling.

Lydia straightened up and ignored Carter who asked what was wrong. With a red haze almost blinding her, she stormed towards the couple that had their tongues down each other's throats. The traitorous pair that she had her glare honed in on. She had never been more angry in her entire life.

____

Also, I did see Infinity War. It was great. Loved it. I'm going again on Friday. To those soulless people that commented spoilers on the last chapter... I hope your eyebrows fall out. ❤️😍

 ❤️😍