Edmure Tully X Reader - Beside You

A/N - This imagine is based on the song 'Beside You' by 5 Seconds of Summer. It's a pretty good song and I feel like I've been sorely neglecting poor Edmure recently. I hope you all enjoy it.

"It pains me to think I wont be seeing you for so long," you murmured quietly as you watched Edmure struggle with one of the straps on his armour. You quickly got to your feet, crossing the room and kissing him lightly before smacking his hand away from the buckle.

"Thank you." The room was silent as you ran your fingers over his metal clad shoulders, taking a deep breath and releasing it as a sigh. "It won't be forever," he uttered gently, turning to look into your eyes.

You smiled sadly up at him. "I know, but it doesn't make it any easier."

"I don't want to go, but Robb's my nephew and he needs me."

"Stop explaining yourself, I understand," you told him, moving one hand up to cup his cheek, running a finger gingerly over the stubble that he had yet to deal with.

He sighed at you, turning his head into your palm and slowly closing his eyes. "You wan't me to stay, I can see it even if you don't want to say it out loud." His words seemed to go stale in the almost silent room, hanging around the two of you the way a fly hung around horse shit.

"Yes," you told him softly. "I would prefer you to stay at my side, but I understand why you can't." You turned his face back to yours. "Look at me," you started and his eyes jolted open. "I love you, please don't go getting yourself killed," you muttered before leaning close to press your lips to his in one of the most gentle kisses you had ever shared.

"I love you," he answered softly as he pulled away from your grip. The smile seemed to fall from your face at his words. Edmure had never been one for sweet words and romance and here he was expressing his love to you without a second thought. It was then that your lip began to tremble, tears pricking at your eyes and attempting to escape down your cheeks.

"It's time for you to go," you told him softly, watching him watch you, standing just a foot apart. "Everyone'll be waiting for you."

"Let them wait," he uttered softly, pulling you into a long kiss, the last one you would share for some time. He lingered like that for some time, his lips pressed to yours in such a gentle fashion that it felt unnatural to you. And then he was pulling away and heading out of the door.

*Time Skip*

You were laying in your bed, the way you had each night since Edmure had left for battle. The windows were thrown open so that you could see the stars shining in the sky. It had been something your mother had taught you when you were leaving to marry Edmure. No matter where you were the moon would remain the same. Each night you would stare at the sky, hopeful that Edmure would be looking at the same moon and stars, the way you had hoped for your mother to be watching the sky when you had first come to Riverrun.

You had the covers pulled tightly around your body to fight the breeze that the open window would permit to your chambers, wishing that your husband were beside you to shelter your body with his own. He had a habit, when he was with you, of smothering you with his form as you both slept. He would roll over and crush you beneath him, not moving until you had shaken him awake and pushed him off of you. He was not used to sharing a bed before you had moved into his chambers with him.

You sighed as you realised that you would not be falling asleep for a while yet. Instead, you rolled out of the bed, grabbing your robe and wrapping it tightly around your form before making for the window. You leant your elbows against the wooden frame and attempted to calm yourself with a few deep gulps of cool night air, but instead your body shook and tears came to your eyes. You hated admitting that you had been matched well with Edmure, but it was true that you loved him. And now your heart ached for him to return to you.

*Time Skip*

You were sitting in the Great Hall when you heard footsteps hurrying down the hallway. The door swung open to reveal a boy, no more than fourteen, who rushed towards you, dropping to his knee as he reached the table. "My Lady," he started, his breathing ragged as he attempted to slow his panting. "King Robb and his Bannermen are to visit with you this evening."

You felt the smile come to your lips without hesitation and you were quick to get to your feet. "I would be honoured to accommodate the King in the North in my home. I'll find you something to drink and then you must send him my acceptance," you told him softly before gesturing to one of the serving women to come to the man's aid.

You spent much of the afternoon bustling around Riverrun setting up an evening of food and drink for the men to enjoy and finding sleeping quarters for as many as you could. And when one of the guards sent you message that the army was on the horizon you were quick to dress yourself in your finest dress.

You were waiting at the gate when Robb rode through, smiling up at him with such happiness that you felt that your heart may burst from your chest. "Your Grace, it's an honour to see you again," you murmured as you curtseyed to him.

"It's good to see you so well, Lady Y/N," he answered as he dismounted his horse, coming to pull you into a hug. "I haven't seen you since you married Uncle Edmure," he added and you let out a light chuckle.

"Speaking of my husband," you started with a smile. "Where is he? I thought he would be one of the first through the gate," you continued, scanning the crowd for any sight of him amongst the other men.

"He'll be here soon, he's riding with his men and will likely find them settled before coming to greet you."

"Of course, Your Grace." You continued to smile, though your heart ached for having to wait even one more second to lay eyes on the man you loved.

*Time Skip*

You were already seated in the Great Hall again when you finally saw Edmure. You were sitting surveying the room when the door burst open and you found your eyes falling on your husband, dishevelled and tired looking but just as handsome as the first time you had met him. You were on your feet in seconds, crossing the room as fast as you could without sprinting at him in the most unladylike fashion. Your lips were pressed to his before either of your could even utter a word and though you could hear the whistles of the other men it had seized to bother you as you leant into his grasp.

"I missed you," you mumbled against his lips, your hands gripping the sides of his head to hold him in place. You saw his lips shift into a cocky smile as his hand came to rest against your hip.

"I can tell," he muttered with a chuckle, pausing when he saw you raise an eyebrow at him. "I missed you too," he told you quietly, pulling you in for another soft kiss.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x