Chapter One - Blondie

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r o n e

{Blondie}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Skylar's POV

Three months earlier...

I lean forward in my desk chair as my clients fidget in their seats. Pushing the pen and paper forward, I explain once more they can decline the offer. The older woman firmly shakes her head while the young girl seated beside her cries. The woman forcefully signs the paperwork laying on my desk, then passes it to the girl.

"Sign," she demands. "We already have everything planned out. Don't back out."

The girl looks down at her stomach, gently caressing it.

I look past the older woman toward the crying girl. "Excuse me if I'm stepping out of line, but are you okay with this?" I speak out. As a social worker, I'm not always supposed to intervene but I need to make sure she's alright.

She nods meekly, but I don't take that as a proper answer. In order to let her sign, I need a verbal response.

After a long deep breath, she answers yes and reaches for the pen to sign her contract.

When she's finished, she pushes the paper toward me. The woman kisses her head, whispering that she did well.

Although she agreed, it doesn't feel genuine. Biting my tongue, I say,  "Thank you both. If you need anything else, please contact me. Once I get confirmation from the adoptive parents, I will call you."

"Thank you, Ms. Leighton." The woman shakes my hand.

The adolescent girl takes her hand off her bump and mimics her mother. "Thank you."

I escort them out of the office. When they're gone, I launch myself onto the couch positioned in the corner of my office and sigh.

Did I do the right thing letting her sign the contract? I'm not their therapist, I'm their social worker. But I must make sure everyone is comfortable with the decision they're making. And I don't think I did a good job today.

Groaning, I stare at the ceiling, continuously reevaluating my actions. I make a promise to myself to keep an eye on their case, then pull out my phone and scroll through my contacts.

On the first dial tone, my sister Marlee eagerly answers the phone. "Hello?"

"Hey, Marlee."

"Hey Sky, how are you?"

I put the phone between my shoulder and ear as I walk to the closet. I grab a change of clothes and start undressing. "I'm good, tired though. Today was emotional, I've been working with a young pregnant girl who is trying to find adoptive parents for her unborn child. I don't think she wants to give the kid up though, her mom is forcing her.... how about you?"

Marlee releases an overwhelmed chuckle. "Wow, that's awful... maybe it's for the best?" she says as if she's asking, not stating.

"I hope so." I finish changing and grab my bag. I shove some paperwork inside to take home for the weekend.

"Anyway, my day was good. I have some crazy stories about the ER to tell you, but I'm super busy right now so I will call you later, okay?"

I check the time before saying, "Sure."