CHAPTER SEVEN - Saving Henry

"Henry? Honey?"

He said nothing as he sat on his chair with a bottle of bourbon in his hands. Henry had been unpredictable since Diana's murder and the death of her unborn child. He had been pale and ill-looking for three days and nothing Timber did could cheer him up. Timber kept calling in for him because he wouldn't go to work. He even rejected his favorite foods and had not eaten anything at all. He had let his appearance go as well, which didn't really bother Timber, but she thought he looked odd with his beard growing in. The bald spot looked crescent-shaped and it made his face appear uneven. Timber was at a loss for what to do for days when she was suddenly struck by inspiration.

"Henry, if you can hear me, I'm going to check on Xianna. Do you need anything before I leave? Are you hungry? I can make you a snack."

"Can you shut the hell up?" snapped Henry angrily. "I'm fine."

Timber hung her head in defeat and left him alone. She got in her Ford Fusion and left. She pulled into the driveway of the Michaels' home to find the garage door open with Dresden inside, loading the washing machine. Timber got out of the car and walked up to him.

"Hi, Timber. Xianna is at work," said Dresden. "She's off in an hour and a half if you want to wait."

"I'm here for you," said Timber. "I need your help."

"You never come to me for help," said Dresden in surprise. He set down the basket. "Are you OK?"

"I'm alright," said Timber. "This is for Henry. He's not been himself since Diana and her baby were killed by the vampire and I can't cheer him up. I need you to break my car."

"I'm sorry?"

"I need you to break my car," repeated Timber. "I know you know enough about cars to make sure it's broken but still drivable."

"I don't know that much about cars," said Dresden. "Henry knows more about them than I do. Why not ask him?"

"He loves fixing them but both of our cars are currently in perfect working condition. I need you to change that. If you break mine, it'll force him to fix it. He'll enjoy doing it. Then maybe he'll at least start eating again."

"He's that bad?" Dresden ran a hand over his bald head.

"Yeah. It's not just the lack of food either," confessed Timber. "He's been yelling at me for little things like forgetting to get more toilet paper out of the cabinet when the roll was gone. He's not like he usually is when we fight."

Timber began crying. She had been holding a lot of emotions back to be strong for her husband but she could not keep them locked away anymore. Dresden, being the big brother type, went to comfort Timber. He held her with one hand on her head until she could find her voice.

"Usually we can reason with each other after we calm down but he's staying angry and irrational. It got so bad this morning I Turned and hid under the bed. If he's not yelling at me, he's ignoring me. He's drinking bourbon first thing in the morning and I don't think he's sleeping either. I can hear him pacing in the middle of the night. He needs help, Dresden, and I don't know what else to do. Please."

"Alright, let me finish loading this into the washing machine and then I'll get my tools."

"I'll finish the load," said Timber, drying her eyes. Dresden raised an eyebrow. "Don't worry. I know she's picky about how laundry is done but you'll be fine. Xianna and I both do our laundry the same way because we both learned from Grace."

"Alright, I'll be done as soon as I can."

Timber finished emptying the wicker basket of dirty clothes into the washing machine while Dresden lifted Timber's hood. He began loosening bolts. Then he went under the car and began doing the same thing. After a half hour, he had finished 'breaking' Timber's car.