Hey! Why don't you look at that!

"Kokichi! If you want to come, then at least get ready a little faster!" Kokichi heard the voice from his guardian on the other side of the door. "Coming, mom!" He called out as he tried to pull his jeans over his legs as quickly as he could. When he managed to get dressed he went down to where Ms. Ouma was standing.

Ms. Ouma is the young lady that adopted Kokichi when he was only five years old. She is rather petite, only two to three inches taller than Kokichi, her hair is similarly short and messy except tied in a small ponytail, and her eyes are a similar plum color. The only difference is her brown hair. With her appearance, she could easily pass off as Kokichi's biological mother especially with Kokichi calling her 'mom' and all.

"Alright, let's get going." She said with a small smile as Kokichi stood next to her. He was going with her to do some quick grocery shopping, mainly because they were almost out of cat food and they did not need Po throwing a fit. It also didn't help that the supply of snacks and soft drinks were also starting to dwindle.
Luckily, the grocery store wasn't too far from home, it was just a quick drive. When they got in, Ms. Ouma suggested that they split up, due to the list not being so short. "Can I leave the snacks and cat food up to you? I can get the necessities such as eggs and milk." Ms. Ouma suggested and Kokichi nodded, going off to follow her orders. Carrying a basket, he went to the snacks aisle, getting whatever one of his favorites were on sale. When he had finished, he met up with his guardian at the checkout lane, however when he got there, she seemed to be preoccupied.

Next to her stood a tall and lanky man. His black hair was a little messy, he had a neat stubble, he wore casual clothes with a long, brown coat over it and his eyes were a gold color. His eyes sort of scared Kokichi, they looked sharp and analytical, as if he were the human embodiment of a lie detector. The man and Ms. Ouma were engaged in a casual conversation. Kokichi decided to keep quiet and overhear their conversation.

"It's been so long since I've seen you! Is work going well for you, Saihara-San?" Ms. Ouma asked. Wait a moment...

Saihara-san?

The man grunted before he replied. "Yeah, it's going fine. It just seems like everyone is relying on me nowadays, I've been solving more cases than usual." He replied with a small chuckle and Ms. Ouma grew concerned. "Shouldn't you at least ask for a break?" She asked as she furrowed her eyebrows. The man let out another chuckle. "That's not a bad idea, afterall I can't help but to feel a little bad for leaving my nephew home alone all the time." He replied, a little bit of guilt creeping in his voice. Kokichi continued to listen on, confirming whenever or not it's just a coincidence or if it's actually what it could be. "Is the bakery going well for you, Ouma-san?" The man asked and the young lady nodded her head. "Yeah! It seems to be as populated as ever! I've even managed to whip up some new specialities! You should come sometime and maybe take your nephew too! You did say he has a bit of a sweet tooth, riiight?" Ms. Ouma replied in a sing-song tone. Ms. Ouma owned a bakery. She said that she always had a passion for baking. She also loved her job because she could stay close to Kokichi, considering that she made everything at home. The best part was that Kokichi always got the chance to sample any new specialities. "You're as peppy as ever, huh Ouma-san?" The man replied with a small laugh. It was clear that these two knew eachother before.

The two continued the idle chatter and Kokichi eventually had to make it clear that he was there. "Goodness Kokichi! How long have you been here?" Ms. Ouma asked, she looked shocked for a moment. "For a little bit now." Kokichi confessed, normally he'd lie but he was intimidated by the man's piercing eyes that would probably apprehend him if he lied. "Is this the kid you're raising? What a small lad. I'm guessing he's in middle school?" The man asked casually and Kokichi scoffed. He hated it when people would genuinely mistake him for being younger than he actually is. Ms. Ouma only chuckled. "Nono, he's actually the same age as your nephew." She said with a small laugh and Kokichi's eyes widened. Yep, this is it, this can no longer be passed off as a coincidence. "Oh yeah, Kokichi! This is Saihara-san! He's been my friend since highschool. He works as a detective and like I said earlier, he has a nephew your age!" She said cheerfully while gesturing her head at the taller man. "As in-depth as ever, Ouma-san." He said with a small, nostalgic smile. "Oh yeah, Saihara-san, what school does your nephew go to? Kokichi goes to Hopes peak." She asked. "Oh, my nephew goes to Saishuu." He replied and Ms. Ouma sighed. "Aw, I was hoping that Kokichi had seen him before." She said with a sad smile.