14 | Ava Vs Cheerleaders

Heroes (we could be) - Alesso feat. Tove Lo

14 | Ava Vs Cheerleaders

***

"—tomorrow night," I catch the end of Molly's sentence. Everybody—the gang—nod their heads in excitement except for me. Instead, I give them a confused look.

Molly sighs and raises an eyebrow, "were you even listening?"

I shake my head with a smile. "Nope," I say, popping the 'p' just to annoy her.

Molly rolls her eyes. "So we decided that tomorrow we can go to the movies to watch the Incredibles 2!" Molly repeats, squealing.

My mouth makes an 'o' shape. "But its only Wednesday..."

"So?" Bree asks, moving closer to Molly.

"Sure, why not? I literally have nothing better to do with my life," I reply, laughing at how that actually sounds. "Damn, they made me sound like such a loner."

Everybody laughs at that.

"It really did," Josh says.

Luke slings his arm over my shoulder and pushes me closer to him. "Its okay babe, I don't think you're a loner. I will always be here for you."

I try to refrain myself from rolling my eyes at Luke's comment and instead shrug his arm that is casually on my shoulder off. Its like, no matter how many times I tell Luke that I'm not going to get with him, he won't listen. Does it go in one ear and out through another? Does he zone out when I tell him?

Maybe if I record myself saying it and put it on repeat when I'm with him, it will go through his head. Now that could work...

But it sounds a bit too mean. Which is something I'm totally not...

"So tomorrow it is then." Molly reiterates and we all nod our heads.

It's strange, all of this. I met these people yesterday and I already feel like I've known them my whole life. They make me feel at home again, that I belong here. I don't feel like an outsider.

"What's tomorrow?" A deep voice asks from behind me. Instantly, I recognize it. My body reacts to it—goosebumps erupt on my skin and I shiver. It's so unfair how his voice is so attractive and deep. It's so unfair how manly he sounds.

I swivel around to see a smirking Max.

From my peripheral vision, I can see everyone's shocked faces. I mentally curse Max for coming over here, now I'm going to deal with their inquisitive questions. Only Molly knows right now about me accepting Max...as a friend.

"Nothing Max," I tell him with a scowl; his brown eyes flash with amusement. His pink and perfect lips curl upwards into a smirk. The fact that he finds my lack of answer amusing has me feeling unsure.

Its like we are playing a chess game. And right now Max is the one in the lead. The worst part is that he know's he's got a lead.

"Oh really?" He practically taunts, crossing his muscly arms over his broad chest. "Judging by your answer, I think not."

I mentally kick myself for acting like that. Max used to know me better than myself. Apparently, he somewhat still does.

"Its none of your business Max," I say and turn back around to face the rest of the gang in the circle we have formed by Molly's locker.

Ignoring their gazes on either me or Max, I watch a group of cheerleaders at the opposite side of the corridor gossiping about a younger girl.

Before I make a move to go and help her, another arm slings around my shoulder. From the electricity shooting down my arm and spine, I know its not Luke but Max. My heart thumps in my chest and my head begins to go crazy at the proximity.