Oh

Sibley's reactions were never the most normal. She didn't have flight or fight responses to anything. When she was scared, her brain scattered, her thoughts buzzed around her head, blurring together. It made it hard to make decisions in a dangerous situation, especially with her already slow processing speed. This was probably one of the biggest reasons Sherlock found her so stupid. She was incredibly slow and bad at making choices. So when Moriarty gestured for the two girls to follow, she did, not knowing what else to do.   

Amber knew Sibley better than anything else, and she could sense her friends (is that what they were? She didn't even know anymore) discomfort, and gripped her hand. Sibley gave her a soft smile in gratitude. She didn't know if Amber knew this was going to happen or the relation between their fathers or the fact that Moriarty was a cold hearted killer with a line of criminals that worked for him and a lost of offenses against the law, but in that moment, she just didn't care. She knew she probably should. She could hear Sherlock in her ear calling her an emotional idiot, but she couldn't bring herself to look at Amber as the enemy. Not her Amber. Not her best friend Amber. Not the girl who was always there for her no matter what.

Moriarty led them into a surprisingly bright office, the mahogany desk and chair lit up by the sun shining through the large windows. A dark red rug sat in the middle of the room and two leather seats sat across from the desk. He gestured for them to take a seat and they did. He didn't sit on the chair behind the desk, rather, he sat on the front edge, stretching his legs out in front of him and crossing his ankles.

"Don't look so frightened, Sibley, I have no intention of hurting you. Wouldn't want to upset my daughter." he said. Amber rolled her eyes to the ceiling.

"Dad, stop. What do you want?" she asked, irritated. He gave a dramatic, almost theatrical, sigh.

"Amber, dear, don't be your mother. It's annoying. Besides, I'm not talking to you." he said. Sibley was half listening to him and half staring at her friend. It made since now. Amber's roots were black, her eyes were brown, her facial features were rounded. She did look like like her father.

"Sibley, don't you know it's rude to stare?" Moriarty called her back out of her thoughts. She blushed and looked at her lap.

"Though, I don't blame you, she is beautiful, she does look like me after all," he said. Amber was now also blushing as she stared at her father.

"What do you want from me?" she was surprised at the firmness in her voice. Typically, she was stuttering at this point. She should have been shaking, shrinking back in the chair, praying for an end to come soon. She realized she was more angry than afraid. An image of Amber flashed in her mind, her chin was bruised. Then she remembered the papers she knew Jim Moriarty was associated with due to her father's files. The children he had kidnapped. People he had killed. Bombs strapped to strangers all to play a game with Sherlock. He was a psychopath who hurt people for fun including Amber.

"Oh Sibley no need to be so angry. I haven't laid a finger on my daughter with ill intentions," he said, as if reading her mind, "I have only insured my daughter is well practiced." he finished. Sibley looked to Amber for more explanation. The teenager rolled her eyes again, clearly agitated with her father.

"We train. Self defense. Sometimes I get a bit hurt." she explained.

"Oh..." that only eased her anger a little. There were still grieving families and children with PTSD because this man cared about no one and nothing.

"Yes. I make sure she can protect herself. So if, for instance, a group of boys attack her, she could get away. If a certain cabbie tried to kidnap her, she could fight back," he said, raising an eyebrow. Sibley swallowed. Her self hatred burned in her chest.

"No need to be upset. It's not your fault Daddy dearest never gave you enough attention to teach you anything, but I, I can help you, Sibley," he sang her name at the end.

"Dad, what are you even talking about?" Amber snapped.

"I'm talking about Sherlock Holmes." he said, drawing out Sibley's fathers name in a way that put her at unease.

"Oh, right... You promised me you wouldn't. You promised you'd leave Sibley out of whatever sick thing you were planning," Amber said, her voice getting louder with each word. Funny, while Sibley was becoming calm, Amber's rage was growing.

"Shut up, Amber, you can be so dull sometimes. Sibley, I see the potential in you that your father can't. You can become amazing. I want to invest." he said. Sibley and Amber shared a glance before she looked back up at the smirking man.

"Invest?" she asked, confused. Moriarty groaned loudly again.

"Sibley!" he barked, "I can make you into everything you want to be. I can teach you to protect yourself. I can draw out the talents you've wasted and buried on account of your mother. You can live here and learn. Besides, I know you want to be closer to Amber," he smirked again at the end, looking between the two girls.

"What are the conditions?" she asked, suspicious. Moriarty broke out into a full grin.

"Ah, good girl. Smart question. You have to stay here. You can't contact your father, of course, eventually, you'll join my team," he said. She tilted her head, considering. He could help her. She could grow and finally be strong enough and smart enough that no one could ever help her. She could prove to her father she wasn't everything he said he was. But, then she would have to help him. She would have to be a part of all the evil.

"No." she said.

"No?" he asked.

"No. In all honesty, you just want me so you can get to my father. His own flesh and blood going to his worst enemy? That'll hurt. I can do that. I can stay here and learn and you can even pretend that I'm actually a part of all of this, but I won't help you murder and steal and hurt." she said. He threw his head back and laughed.

"Oh, you are fun! Of course, I agree to your terms. You don't have to help with anything, just act. If I need you to be a pretty little actress in my games with your father, you will do that." he said. She nodded.

"I think I can manage that." she said.

"Alright, you two are dismissed for now," he waved them off and they stood walking out.

They were silent as they walked down the long, wide, corridor. The home was beautiful and fascinating but Sibley knew she wouldn't find the same comfort in it that she had had in Baker Street. She shook the thought away, Baker Street hadn't been comfortable in months. Not since she was kidnapped and Sherlock changed. She was always on edge there, especially when he was home. No. She needed this. Needed to learn to be strong, to be confident in herself.

They arrived in Amber's room and Sibley slowly lowered herself onto the bed. It was quiet for a moment before Amber let out a sigh.

"I'm sorry. I should have told you, what with my dad and your dad being, like, arch enemies or something stupid and dramatic like that. I just... I didn't want to lose you because of our stupid parents. We've both suffered enough due to them," she rambled before plopping down next to her and laying her head on Sibley's shoulder, "We need each other." she muttered. Sibley rested her head on her friends.

"I'm not mad." she said, voice soft.

"Good." Amber swallowed, shaking at the idea of Sibley deciding she hated her or something.

"Am," Sibley said, nudging her. Amber sat up and looked at her, expectant, "It's okay." she rested her hand on Amber's cheek. After a few seconds they both leaned in continuing what Moriarty had interrupted. The kiss deepened and Sibley was so lost in the action she barely processed the fact that she was snogging her best friend.

When they finally moved apart, her cheeks were flushed and she was smiling. Amber's hair was frizzy and disarray from Sibley's hands having been buried in it.

"Oh..." Sibley said, looking down.

"Oh." Amber agreed. They sat like that. Silent and processing.