Chapter Twenty-Five: Priorities

Declan

Declan cringed as he walked past the living area. Six teenage girls sprawled out across the room, flipping through magazines, rubbing strange lotions on their faces, and arguing over which male celebrity had the best body. He'd just faced demons, and he'd gladly do it again if he didn't have to go into that room. Perhaps he should take a page out of Phoebe's book and head to bed, but something about being back in this house made him uneasy.

Hanish and Travis caught his eye, the two of them looking cozy amongst the women, and they laughed at what they saw on his face. But for Travis, the smile slipped away as he turned his attention to Lux, who was trying her best to act like she was having fun with her Circle members. Even Brooke, who'd only come because of her interest in finding justice for her sister, appeared more at ease pretending to be a normal teenager.

Because that's what they were all doing: pretending.

He stepped outside, shoving his hands deep in his pockets, as he took in the Godelieve property. When he'd gone to sleep, he'd wondered if he'd ever see this place again. That it was still in the family was a testament to the connection between the land and the bloodline; he had his suspicions it would always find its way back into the hands of the High Priestess.

Today had left little time for exploration, but he'd spied the roof of the guest cottage when they'd driven up the driveway. Gravel crunched under his feet as he followed the path to the house, the light growing dimmer the further from the main building he walked, but he didn't need it. Even enveloped in the evening black, he could find his way. His steps were as sure today as they'd been almost a hundred years ago- the last time he'd made this journey.

Coming to an abrupt stop, he leaned forward, hands on his knees as he struggled to control his breathing. The memory of Leora clung to this place so strongly he half expected to see her pale specter sweeping by. She'd have her blond hair piled atop her head in the latest fashion, while the hem of her skirt would be damp and discolored from long walks in the fields. The right corner of her mouth was always turned up, as if an unseen hook tugged it, making her look as if she was always on the verge of smiling.

Overcome with emotion, he stumbled to the cottage's stoop and sat down. Head in his hands, he couldn't stop the shaking that took over his body. Everything had happened so fast after she died. He'd jumped right into the decision to go to sleep, never mourning her loss, and when he awoke, he filled his head and heart with the mission of the present day.

Coming here had stripped away armor he'd been unaware he was wearing, and every smell and sound sent ripples of pain through his body. He scrubbed his hands across his face. They were damp when he pulled them away. This place reminded him of the cost of his failures. And, as his thoughts drifted to a pair of sad gray eyes, he knew he couldn't live with himself if he lost Lux.

A rustle in the grass brought him to his feet. As if his warring emotions had called to her, Lux stepped forward. She hovered several feet away, uncertainty lining her features as she took in his disheveled state.

"Decs? You okay?"

Declan pondered his answer. They'd instantly clicked when he first arrived, much like he and Leora had. Funny how bits of history repeated itself- even the division they were experiencing now echoed the fight that had divided him and Leora in the beginning. But it differed in one very important way.

"Come with me," he said, extending his hand as he stood. Lux hesitated, but only for a moment.

"What is this place?" she asked as they went inside. His hand moved on the wall, searching for a switch that wouldn't have been there during his years in the house, but as he'd hoped, the family had updated the house. Light flooded the room.