A Cruel Past ( 14 )

Ty and I walked through the camp with are dragons close behind us. Ty hadn't said a word to me since our walk began. He seemed distracted. His eyes were empty and his face held no emotion. The silence was all that filled the air. I continued to walk behind him as we made our way through the camp. When I finally got up the nerve to ask where we were going he said nothing and kept walking without even looking back at me.

"Ty," I said trying to get his attention.

Nothing.

Alright, so he's not listening. That's fine. Perfectly fine.

"Ty," I called again. A little louder this time.

Still Nothing.

I walked closer to him before calling out to him again.

"Ty?"

Once more nothing.

I signed and put my head down and kept walking right behind him. Then without warning, he stopped and I being the graceful person I am, ran into him.

I stumbled backward but before I fell Ty grabbed my hand and pulled me back into his chest. Little to no space separated us as we stood there his arms wrapped around me tightly. I looked at the ground embarrassed at how close we were.

"Sorry," He said not letting me go from his grip.

"Why are you apologizing? I'm the one who ran into you", I said not looking up.

He let go of me and I took a step back from him.

"We're here," He said guiding me to a cabin that I assumed was his.

We walked up the steps and being the gentleman that he is. Ty held open the door for me. Inside was an open living room with two chairs pointing to a fireplace. However, no fire was lit.

"Wait here I'll be back, " He explained.

"Okay"

He walked off. I looked over at the fireplace. On the top of its pictures of all kinds and of different people. Some were black and white and showed their age. But all of them had one man in common.

Ty.

I looked at the pictures but stopped when I saw yet another familiar face on one of the oldest pictures. I couldn't tell if I was more confused or curious as I saw the two boys both smiling happily.

It was Sardis.

I picked it up to get a better look at the black and white photo. Sardis had his arm draped across Ty's shoulder and they both were laughing. Their black and gold dragons laid casually in the background. By the looks of it, I think the pair was at the camp's training grounds.

"Doesn't take you long to find secrets does it."

I turned around to see Ty standing in the doorway with a bottle in his hands.

"Ty! I'm sorry... I...I" I said, quickly putting the picture back. And tried to make myself as small as possible.

He walked towards me and picked up the picture for himself. A small smile played on his lips as he stared at the picture.

"It's fine. It's not much of a secret, anyway. Everyone here knows. " He said not looking up from the picture.

He sat the picture back down, but this time face down. Hiding the pair in the photo.

"Sit," He ordered his smile fading.

I sat down quickly in the chair. He kneeled on the ground in front of me. He brought the bottle up and opened it.

"What is that?" I questioned as he grabbed my hand with his opposite hand.

"This should stop Sardis from using any more of his dreamscape magic on you." He explained.

"Should?"

"Yeah, it's old and I've never been good at making potions, but it should do the trick for a while", He said letting a small drop of the red liquid fell onto my wrist.

As the liquid hit my wrist, it glowed bright and then disappear into my skin. Ty then let go of my wrist and sat down the bottle.

"Thanks," I said sheepishly still embarrassed by the former events.

"Of course."

"So..um..the..um" I sturred trying to find the words to ask about the picture but failed.

He sighed knowing what I was trying to say.

"Sardis he wasn't always like the way he is now. We grew up together. He was a little mischievous that was for sure, but he wasn't evil. He wasn't just my best friend he was my ..." He stopped and dropped his head.

"Your what?"

"He was my little brother and I couldn't protect him." He said, his voice cracking.

"Ty," I said as soft as I could as pulled him into a hug.

He only sat there for a few moments before he wrapped his arms around me and buried his face in my neck. I held him as his facade faded.

" It was all my fault I couldn't protect him", he choked.

"Ty, whatever happened I know it wasn't your fault."

"We wouldn't have been there if I wasn't so stupid", he hissed.

"Where?"

"Zeref's Tomb."

Zeref I know that name he was the one that created the armies of darkness and was sealed away by the Arch dragons using the light of Spero, whatever that is.

"I was so stupid. I thought that if we kill him his armies would be destroyed with him. But I was a fool to think we could win. Sardis trusted me and he paid the price for it. We didn't even wake him up and he kicked our asses. He turned my own brother against me."

"That's not your fault. You were trying to help."

"But I didn't help anyone. I made it worse."

"Everyone makes mistakes. I know I've made my fair share of them."

"But-", Ty stared.

"No. This wasn't your fault and you shouldn't blame yourself for it. No-one can change the past. All you can pick yourself up and try again."

He was silent but after a moment I felt him nod. He tightened his grip on me pulling me even closer to him. I continued to hold him as embraced each other, neither one of us moving.

Ty was the one to break the hug. He looked down at me with his sky blue eyes.

"Thank you."

"I just told you the truth."

"Maybe, but it meant a lot coming from you."

l blushed at his comment and looked away. He laughed a little at my reactions before he put his arm around my shoulder and guided me outside.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Well, since Athena is large enough to ride I think it's time for your first flight together don't you?"