Chapter 8

"When out in the field of reporting, it is so important to remember that we are what we like to call background personnel

"When out in the field of reporting, it is so important to remember that we are what we like to call background personnel. We report, that it. We remain impartial and factual. Neither can be achieved if we write from our own beliefs and judgements."

I pointed with the red laser pen I was holding to the PowerPoint slide I was now explaining to the room filled with interns and team managers.

"When speaking with our reporting clients, we keep a professional rapport, one to create back and forth conversation but not to become overly friendly. Otherwise our data becomes distorted to match with how we feel about the report and that's the opposite of what Exposition sets out to achieve in the field. We are known to the public as a reliable reporting journal, and we don't want to jeopardise that."

It had been months until I was finally able to host a work seminar, a teaching we conducted once every few weeks from the individual team mangers. Many of the few who would usually turn their noses up at anything I had to present, were curiously listening for once, keeping their attention secured to each passing slide.

My presentation soon came to a close when I finally announced the field report I would be launching and the interns I would be taking along with me. It was written in our policy to take a minimum of two interns along with us when we could, a fact I was highly thankful for given the prejudices I would usually face on my own.

Most clients would see a young woman and assume easy pickings for flirting and matching their persona to what I would like rather than the truth.

"Sierra and Lionel will be joining me in attending Hunt industries this afternoon."

A short yet obvious cough was made from Bernard, followed by his humourless attempt to belittle me. "Favouritism." He coughed again to cover it up.

A blatant snort followed from one of his own interns, one I could only assume to be kissing the floor he walked on in order to get into his good books.

Bernard pressed his smug features into view as an angered scowl took over mine. "Are you against giving any of your other interns a chance?" He pointed over to my two remaining interns, Niko and Kayla, who kept their heads down as to avoid his unwarranted attention.

He crossed one leg lazily over the other and rested his neck against his outstretched arms. Heat soared through to my ears with his obvious disregard for any source of professionalism or integrity when it came to speaking out of turn.

"How about you concern yourself with your own work requirements, Bernard," I practically slammed down the files I was holding onto the table in front of me in an attempt to relieve my anger, "I don't feel that I need to justify my decision to you or to anyone in fact. Kayla and Niko have a heavier workload in the office right now, and we have already agreed prior that they will be joining me on my next field report."