prologue - detention and dinosaurs

prologue  - detention and dinosaurs

"No phones. No ipods. No apple watches. No talking. No kissing. No sexual procedures" Mrs. Laine stared me in the eyes.

"I'm the only one here" I sighed.

"Don't talk back to me" Mrs. Laine sneered. "I'll be right back. Follow the rules and don't shut the door. You'll be locked in here until the custodial staff gets here and they were already sent home for the day"

Let me tell you something. I absolutely hate my gym teacher and she hates me right back. How do I know? Well she singled me out and gave me detention, my first detention ever, for using my phone while 3 other girls were also using their cell phones.

I get that having my phone out in class is against the rules but I was the only one who got detention. If the three girls, athletes nevertheless, got detention too then I wouldn't be so annoyed. All I was trying to do was mute the dumb group chat Laurel added me to. I'm sorry I didn't want my butt vibrating while I was doing lunges.

I still have no idea why it was blowing up like that. I would check but I didn't want Mrs. Laine coming back and giving me another hour of detention.

So instead I just sat in the comfortable sofa and drew. Drawing was always one of my favorite things to do. Ever since I was 8 years old and found my first set of sketching pencils. I wasn't the type of girl that liked to go to parties or sleep all day or spend all day on social media. So I spent most of my free time drawing. I drew mostly anything. Real people, cartoon characters, original characters, landscapes etc. My father loved my artwork. Especially the drawings I've made of my mother after her death when I was 15.

I had just finished the outline of the charmander I was sketching when I heard voices coming from the hallway. Two, I recognised as Kevin and Devin Preston. Captain and Quarterback of the Eastview high football team and my old childhood friends.

I sighed uncomfortably. I didn't have any bad feelings towards them. I just didn't want to deal with them. They weren't the same people I was friends with in middle school. They had a bit of a.... player-ish reputation. Not that I judged. I just don't think they talked to any girls unless they are trying to get in their pants. But they're also the type of people who wouldn't flat out ignore me and since I'm the only other person in the library...

"Calm down bro. It's just a detention" A new voice joined in.

It seemed familiar but I couldn't place it with a name or face. It was deeper than I remembered...

"It's your first day back. Do you want mom and dad to send you back to that boarding school?" Kevin said.

God... Marc Preston was back from that boarding school already? Couldn't his parents keep him there until the end of this year? Why would they do this? Marc Preston was nothing but trouble.

"Eh it wasn't that bad" Marc laughed as he came into my line of vision.

He looked... older then I remember. Well, obviously he would be older. The last time I saw him, he was 13. Now he's at least 18. His jet black hair was slightly grown out and tossled around. His jawline matched his older brothers, sharp and defined. It looked like his ears had gauges in them and he had an eyebrow piercing now. I couldn't see his eyes from here but I'm sure they're the same pale blue I remember.

He was taller. Probably 6'0. He wasn't as muscular as Kevin and Devin. Probably because he was too reckless to be on the football team. He was lean. His outfit consisted of converse, a band tee, dark jeans and an old jacket. God. What did he think this was? 2006?