Chapter 37: Lily's Choice

"You say what?!" 

Lily was shocked - she was a demon, and they were telling her that only now?!

"I'm sorry I kept it a secret from you..." Incubus sighed, "Father forbade me to speak of it. He was worried I might not manage to hold it so he forbade me to interact with you. That was the true reason why he didn't allow me to see you at first".

Lily stared at him in a stupor - such sudden information! So, she was not only a dirty soul but a demon? There was no wonder why none of the angels accepted to guard her, then! Tears gathered in her eyes - she had suffered her entire life because of that?

"I'm sorry".

Incubus touched her hand, in an attempt to comfort her. He felt terribly guilty.

"It's fine. But if I was a demon, how come I didn't have any powers?"

"That's a good question," Johan cut in. "In order to revive you as a human soul, Samael asked me to get the demonic powers out of you, since we cherubim are the only angels who can take away demons' powers. Yourbecoming a demon was not your choice but Samael's fault, since he had chosen togive birth to the demon of nightmares. You were still a sinful human and would dwell in hell regardless. Making you a demon would at least ease your pain. But he did not think that you might be unable to handle your demonic nature. You, as a weak human soul, began getting overpowered by your new demonic self and the black energy began consuming you. If it prevailed, you would turn into bestiality, so Samael decided to draw your powers away. 

"He asked me for help. Since you and I were friends back when you still lived in the Garden of Eden, I accepted the request and came down to hell. I took away all of your powers, and you fell into a deep slumber. Only after a few thousand years the High Forces finally accepted to give you a chance and let you reincarnate to become a purified soul again. Since you were a former demon, though, angels were afraid of you, so they did not accept to become your guardians. That is why you felt the dark aura around you all the time. Afterwards, Samael, who was madly in love with you and felt sorrowful for your misfortune decided to break the divine laws once again and become your guardian, even though he was not a guardian type. That is the whole story".

"So... that means he lied to me to let me get purified?"

"Yes. He loved you more than anything. I've never seen Samael as cheerful as he was beside you. He would often smile and laugh. Layla was right about that - Samael did become softer after he got to know you, Lilith".

Lily knew Samael loved her, but she could never imagine he loved her that much. Tears filled her eyes again - now that kind of an angelic man was getting ripped off her hands! She clenched her fist:

"How can I get those powers back?"

"I've kept those powers after I took them from you, in case you made a choice of your own in the future," Johan answered. "I guess that future has already come. Before you choose which path to take, though, I must warn you that there are risks".

"Risks?"

"As I've told you earlier, back when you acquired these powers after becoming an infernal angel's wife and a demon's mother, you could not control the black energy inside you, and it began consuming your conscience. The same risk lies now too. You must try to take control of that darkness if you accept the powers. However, know that the chance is too low for a human to control them. If you fail, I will have to eliminate you, because once you become a bestial demon, there will be no turning back".

Lily widened eyes - there was such a huge risk?! Shivers ran down her spine - it was truly dangerous. What should she do?

"Lily," Incubus put a hand on her shoulder, "Do not fear. You can make it. You are my mother, after all, and I never give in to the dark powers within me. If I am that strong, it is merely because of you, my parents, and it includes not only Lord Samael, but your soul too. I am sure you'll handle it".

Lily gave him a grateful smile - he was indeed a kind child.

"Also, to let you know," Johan retook, "whatever choice you make, your soul will still be forgiven. If you decide to live as a human, I cannot guarantee Samael's safety, but I will still try to save him. You will live as a human and rejoin the High Forces after your death. If you take your powers and accept to be a demon, you will help us save Samael. As a gratitude for saving the angel of destruction and death, the High Forces will forgive you no matter you're a demon. But if you fail to control the powers and turn into bestiality, we will have to kill you, and you will perish forever".

Lily gulped at such threatening words. But then, she gave Johan a kind smile, as if a sign that she had understood his trick.

"Johan_ Um, I mean, Kerubiel... Please, don't try to comfort me. I know what will truly happen. I do not care whether the High Forces forgive me, if Samael gets to die. I'd prefer to be a damned demon if I got to save Sammy that way, and be forever with him. I do not mind dwelling in hell and suffering. I will not feel any pain or sadness, let me only be with him. I love him with my whole heart and soul, and I shall sacrifice whatever it takes to repay him for the sacrifices he has made for my well-being. So, even if it is that risky, I'll gladly do it, because Samael was never afraid of any risk for my sake. Whatever I do from now on, I can never repay him for his immense kindness and virtue, and whatever others may say, he will always be the holiest angel for me. Give me the demonic powers which you've taken away. They belong to me. This time, it is my choice to accept them".

"Good job. You've passed the test - you saw through my tricks. You'd never be forgiven if you abandoned your lover in peril. You showed such grace that you will never be considered a bad person from now on, demon or not. Here you go. I wish you luck, but I'm sure you'll tame it easily," Johan handed her a big black energy sphere.

Lily felt the black sphere in her hands. She braced herself, and began absorbing it. The black sphere shimmered and invaded her soul. It made her shrill.

"Ah, Lily!" Incubus got frightened.

"Calm yourself," Kerubiel frowned, "Black energy is never easy and painless to absorb. She will make it. Didn't you say you trusted in your mother?"

"No, I'm not scared, it was just... so unexpected..."

Lily's eyes and body glowed red as she shrilled.

"Final stage... It is becoming one with her again. Let's see which one will emerge now," Kerubiel said.

Lily stopped screaming, and the glow faded too. She had her eyes closed and seemed unconscious.

"Um, Lily?" 

Incubus wanted to touch her, but she moved, so he, frightened, took his hand back. Lily's eyes opened. She felt dizzy, but her eyes were of normal colour - brown. She rubbed her head:

"Wow, it was a little painful..."

"Well, how do you feel?" Incubus asked.

"Hmm, I feel... unusually energetic. Did I make it?"

Johan smiled:

"Congratulations. You didn't turn bestial. You've subdued the energy, as it seems. You prevailed".

"Wow, amazing!"

"Hurrah!" Incubus grew happy - his mother was back.

"Well done, Lily!" Amiel congratulated her too.

"Well then, let's go to hell and kick that whore's ass!" Lily hit her fist to her palm, "I need to get my hubby back!"

"Yeah!" 

Incubus and Amiel smiled. Kerubiel teleported them all to the underworld.