8

Arryn opened the car door, stepping out onto the pavement of the hospital parking lot

Arryn opened the car door, stepping out onto the pavement of the hospital parking lot. She flinched as the echo of the car door echoed off the concrete walls. Regaining her composure, she sent one last text to Claire and placed her phone in the pocket of her blue jeans.

A light breeze brushed against her skin, sending her hair in every direction. The sun shone brightly in the sky without a cloud in sight. A few birds trilled their melodies on the power lines above.

They took the elevator up to the top floor of the garage. An instrumental version of "Stayin Alive" by the Bee Gees played on the speakers overhead. The catchy tune became infectious, eating away a small chunk of the events that transpired over the past few days. The worry was still there, but it was nice to know that things could still feel normal. She could get through this.

The ding signaled their arrival on the top floor, interrupting Arryn humming to the tune. Bright sunlight trickled into the elevator as the doors opened, bringing back the heat of summer.

The hospital came into sight as they rounded the corner. Standing ten stories high, the hospital never failed to make Arryn feel like an ant. They stepped into the large shadow of the building, coming upon the entrance.

Cool air greeted them inside the lobby. Sitting at the desk, a brunette receptionist adorned in blue scrubs typed away on the computer. "How can I help you two today?" She looked up from her computer, flashing a courtesy smile in their direction.

"We're here to visit Lincoln Mosley."

"Of course, do you need to know his room number?" she asked.

"Is it still room 507?"

"Let me check." Her fingers flew across the keys.

"Thank you," Arryn said.

"Yes. Lincoln Hunter Mosely is in room 507 on the fifth floor. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?"

"I think that does it, thank you," her mother replied.

"Of course. Those flowers are beautiful by the way," the receptionist noted, indicating the vase of lilies Arryn's mother held.

"Why thank you." Her mother smiled.

The receptionist's phone rang, leading her to excuse herself.

Arryn and her mother walked the short distance to the elevator. Her mother hit the button and together, the two waited, watching the numbers descend on the digital screen above. Ground floor.

A man barreled out of the elevator, shoving Arryn against the wall.

"Hey! Watch where you're going!" Arryn's mother shouted.

The man turned towards them. Deep scratches ran down his temple, past his eye socket. Plastered on his face lay a look of pure terror. He didn't even address the two of them. Instead, he ran down the hall, rounding the corner to the exit without hesitation.