xxviii. an unexpected partnership

Vanessa's POV

"ANO ng plano natin, Queen? We should get her this instant. Baka makakawala pa. Or worse . . . baka umatake siya pailalim!"

I did not mind Jamie's exaggerated thoughts. Sumimsim ako sa wine na hawak-hawak ko at nakatingin lamang sa kawalan.

"Queen . . ." I could hear her sighing.

"Hahayaan mo nalang ba siya? Masiyado ka naman yatang nagpapakampante . . ."

That got my attention. "Kampante?" I chuckled maniacally. "Don't be absurd, Jamie. I'm already thinking of different ways to kill her." Saad ko na may kaunting ngisi sa labi.

She looked confused with what I said — as if I said something unexplainable . . . or something she did not expect me to say.

"Kill her? I thought you don't want to harm her?" She asked — remembering our discussion when we were planning last week.

"I did not want to harm her because I still don't know what her reason is." Binaba ko ang wine glass sa may bandang teresa, "But now that I know what her reason is . . ." I glanced at her.

"There's no need to play nice." I continued.

"Didn't she say . . . you killed her husband?" Her forehead knotted. "Sinabi ba niya kung sino? O . . . alam mo ba kung sino, Queen?"

Napaisip ako sa tanong niya.

"I don't have any idea who she was talking about either." I honestly answered. "But . . . she has to understand that there are times I have to cut someone else's head to save mine." Makabuluhan kong sambit.

Natahimik si Jamie sa sagot ko. I saw her gently caressing her tummy while looking at somewhere else. Maya-maya ay nagsimula muli akong magsalita — I want to tell someone about this.

"But you know what . . . she's familiar." I admitted.

I caught her attention again. "Familiar? Baka . . . nagkakilala na kayo before?"

I tilted my head — hoping I'd remember her. But I only failed myself. "I don't think so . . . I feel like I haven't met her . . . it's just . . . she's so damn familiar. I don't even know why, fuck." I frustratingly conveyed.

"She's not familiar to me. Sigurado ka ba talaga, Queen?"

I hissed. Is she doubting me? "Of course, I am!"

She shut her mouth right after that. I grasped on the railings of the terrace. Even the wine can't handle my frustration anymore.

Deep inside myself, I understand Liezel Cruz. If . . . If Axel died, I'd probably do the same.

Even if I was only a mere civilian. I would risk my life to avenge the man I love.

Like her.

I hissed. But there are just some things that are meant to happen. Like what happened to whoever her husband is.

If I really killed her husband — then he was probably siding with my enemy.

Or yet . . . he was my enemy.

'Henry . . .'

Is it possible? Is it . . . Henry? But I would know about that! Besides . . . she's not even carrying his surname.

'But maybe she tried to get used to it — not carrying his surname for her own safety.'

I rolled my eyes. I feel like I'm drowning in my own stupid ass fucking thoughts!

I combed my hair aggressively and put the wine glass on a table near us.

"Let's go hunt." Aya ko kay Jamie nang maalala ang mga bagong baril ko na galing Italy pa.