One Preview

You're twenty and without a job, Max. You need to get out there and get yourself one, before you need a job and a new home!

The voice repeated the same thing over and over in her head. Despite her many attempts to block the damn words out, she couldn't help but realize and understand her predicament. She was jobless and soon to-be-homeless if she didn't set forth the effort to find employment. With a tired, irritated sigh, she opened her eyes to stare up at the beige colored ceiling, which was covered in sprawled out band posters and celebrities.

Maxine remembered how easy it was when she was little; everything came to her when she needed it. It was like a dream made reality; she never had to do anything for anyone, except clean her room or receive a time out for minutes at a time. But even then, if there was a new toy in the super market that she wanted, she cried in the middle of the damn place, until her mother gave into her whining and bought her the play thing. It was just that easy. It was the same old routine for everything: toys, food, clothes, anything.
However, as she grew older, she began to understand what the word "no" really meant. She figured out quickly that the world was not as fair as it had seemed.

At thirteen, her father left Max and her mother. She wasn't sure where he ran off to, but when he never came back, she knew it was just them two. Multiple times she asked the question about him to her mother, but nothing came out of it. The result was always the same.

Mom? Where did Dad go?

Maxine closed her eyes tightly at the recurring memory.

He's just going on a business trip, don't worry. He'll be back.

"But he never came back." Maxine took a heavy breath and sighed deeply. She opened her tired eyes once more, as if she were half awake. She knew she'd never see her father again, and after what he did, she prayed for him to never see her.