The Things You Sew

Jim had sent Cap home after gathering Jerfferson out the water as it was too risky, them both crossing over into Kentucky

Jim had sent Cap home after gathering Jerfferson out the water as it was too risky, them both crossing over into Kentucky. Riding for home Cap could only pray Chyna was still very busy or belived him to be hunting out with his pa and Johnsey.

Johnsey road home as fast as he could, he rushed into the door of his home to find Nancy sitting on the edge of bed, all out of sorts with cuts and bruises. A bottle of his moonshine in her hand. "Jesus" he breathed quietly rushing to her he knelt and touched her face, gently trying to examine her.

"Somebody bashed you?" He asked but Nancy who was still seething refused to look Johnsey in the eyes. "Oh, my god." Johnsey gaspedgetting a better look at her. "Jim Vance beat me like I was a mule. Or worse." Nancy said throwing Johnsey's hands off of her. "Uncle Jim?" Johnsey questioned, Nancy looked down at him with a snarl "he did disgusting things to me, him and Cap come in here and take Jefferson." She sneered pointing her thumb towards the door.

"Now, you tell me true whether you had anythin' to do with that!" Nancy shouted. Johnsey rested his hand lightly on the back on Nancy's neck, letting his fingers caress her hair. "I swear to you, I didnt." He said trying to sooth her "I swear." His words were pleading.

"Then you go and you get after them. " Nancy said pointing towards the door "an' you bring my brother back here. You go an do that, you do that for me!" She demanded. "Oh goddanmit!" Johnsey whispered shoving off the ground and standing up. He paced around pulling at his hair "goddanmit all..."

"I said get!" Nancy barked "I can't, Nance" Johnsey said hands resting on the top of his head and eyes shut tight. "You can't or you won't?" She asked in a vexed growl. Johnsey sighed and shook his head "I can't" he breathed.

Nancy peered up at him through red narrowed eyes and scowled. "It's already been played out." Johnsey said near tears himself "I seen my brother Cap down the road. Jefferson tried to run, Cap had to shot him." He said. Nancy slowly got up from the bed "no." She whispered while starting to walk around back and forth, her pride trying to bite back tears as her breathing became rapid. "Oh hell." She whinned "Jefferson's killed, Nance." Johnsey stated.

"Oh, shit" Nancy said before the sobbing started "now I aint got no one." She said slamming the bottle down on the bed post, cracking the glass. "Hey," Johnsey called called softly, Nancy tossed the bottle to the floor and Johnsey tried to draw her into him. Wraping his arms over her back and around her shoulders.

The moment he did, however, Nancy tried to pry his hands off. "My brothers dead!" She wailed pushing him off and sitting back on the bed. Johnsey watched her rock and sob, wanting nothing more to hold her to him. "Now I ain't got nobody, now my brothers dead." She kept repeating.

Johnsey shook his head and sat at her side with a bit of caution "hey. You got me." He said touching her shoulder and taking her hand. At his touch Nancy tried to yank herself away "no!" She yelled. "You still got me!" Johnsey cried out trying to draw her into a hug. Nancy fought kicking and screaming and punching. Johnsey held her tight and took it all, bitting his lip as she cursed him and shouted.