Chapter 87

Grace's laugh sounded terribly loud through the completely silent room. Everyone but her was frozen in spot, staring at the young vampire in shock. Their facial expressions shifted between disbelief and surprise. 

To be honest, Grace couldn't understand why they were all so tense. Elijah's hand even clenched around hers tightly. It amused her even further, because this must be some really bad joke.

"Oh come on, Care. Joking about pregnancies in this family really is a sensitive subject." 

She chuckled and nudged Elijah whose dark eyes laid on her intensely. He didn't find this funny in the slightest way. Maybe he was even believing this nonsense. 

"Grace, I'm not joking...I...um, Jo carried twins...when she died, the babies were transferred...we were the only female vampires at the wedding and uh...I'm pregnant with one twin and you're with the other..." 

It was simply too unlikely to be true. What Caroline said was just straight up nuts. Vampires couldn't get pregnant. That was a fact. There were some borders, some restrictions to living as a vampire and pregnancies were one of those. This was one of the few stable things in Grace's life. To be honest a part of her was relieved that she never had to think about having kids. 

She didn't have the maternal gene. She didn't even like kids. As a teenager she hated babysitting and even as an adult she was the one always uncomfortable around kids, while Elena was always happily playing with them. 

Hope was the exception because she was family and because Grace had been kinda been forced into taking care of her. Her loyalty would always win over her own fears. 

"It's impossible." 

Grace stated, while shooting Elijah and Nik unbelieving looks. They all knew it, they've been vampires for a millennium longer than her.

"I said that once before...and look what we have here." 

Nik's gaze bore into Grace's and a silent, but very meaningful exchange took place. Grace began to process the words that made her silent. They washed all the amusement from her face and all the evidence that she had been blocking out for weeks came rushing to her.

The hunger for everything in between blood and sweets. The changes on her body. Collapsing into Tristan de Martel's arms. 

She had played it down and thought that it was just the frustration of not having Nik by her side and the complicated relationship with Elijah. 

An eerie silence has fallen upon the room as everyone continued to stare at her. The air was thick and Grace felt like she couldn't breathe anymore. 

She heard Elijah starting to argue with Nik, but it sounded like she was inside a dull bubble. Nausea had her stomach in a tight grip. Her whole skin was itching, urging her to simply scratch all this nonsense off. Grace wanted to shout, to scream at them all, letting them know that they were all idiots. This couldn't be happing to her. 

But she couldn't let it all out, because the only task she could concentrate on was breathing. No one seemed to notice that the girl they all so passionately loved was close to a mental breakdown. 

"Grace? Grace, it's going to be ok. I know how you feel. When they told I was pregnant I just wanted to laugh in their faces...But this is something good. You will see." 

She felt Hayley's hand grabbing hers and her calm voice close to her. Her eyes darted from her back to Elijah, who was holding her other hand, but was still focused on his brother. His face showed shock and worry, too, but there was something else, a certain kind of softness. He wanted this. He was all too willing to accept this. Of course, he always had wanted children.