Chapter Forty-Three

The sounds of footsteps echoes from inside the palace halls. The madams all followed after the Empress who followed after the guards with Madam Mo.

The Madams paused at the court doors not venturing any further as they were not allowed to. Da Fan, curious, forced her way through the crowd of Madams who stretched their necks out excitingly at the scenario playing out.

The Empress marched gracefully up to the dragon's throne smiling at the Emperor.

"Your Majesty, what sin have Madam Mo committed to warrant her being escorted from my banquet.

The Emperor didn't answer, only motioning for the Empress to sit beside him. The Emperor, sitting upon his throne wore a warm smile. Anyone who knew the Emperor knew this man was great at acting. Anyone attempting to obtain information from his face would be surely disappointed.

"Marquis Mo, haven't this Emperor treated you well?"

Marquis Mo heart hammered in his chest. He discreetly glanced around and shook in fear when he saw his wife in the custody of the guards.

"And this servant thanks His Majesty for his grace."

"Then why must you steal from this Emperor?"

The expressions of everyone in the room turned into astonishment. Stealing from the Emperor. How brave. How bold.

Da Fan watched Marquis Mo turn several shades whiter. Out of the corner of her eyes she saw Feng Huang walking in through the side door and smile.

"This servant would never steal from His Majesty."

"So you're calling this Emperor a liar?"

"No, no, no. " Marquis Mo was sweating more than a roast pig on a fire.

"If you say you never stole from this Emperor that means you're calling this Emperor a liar?"

From the officials, to the Madams and servants looked on in pity a Marquis Mo. The Emperor is known these days for killing with his mouth more often than a sword.

"So what is it Marquis Mo, yay or nae?"

Marquis Mo choked and cough, a line of blood flow down the corner of his lips.

The Emperor chuckled and beckons to someone. Feng Huang seeing his cue, walked into the spotlight.

"As you know not what this Emperor is talking about, Minister Feng shall enlighten you."

"Thank you, Your Majesty." Feng Huang bows and pulls out a scroll and began to read.

"Marquis Mo is guilty of discovering and hoarding a gold vein. All resources found and discovered must be reported to the capital. Two, Marquis Mo is guilty of bribing state officials and border guards and using wanted felons to act as Chawanian soldiers. Three, Marquis Mo is guilty of selling state resources to enemy country, Chawania."

As the charges were read, noise escalated from the surroundings. Discovering and hoarding gold, that was just the tip of the iceberg.

"Just like a dog that bites its owner, an ungrateful creature." The Emperor leaned lazily against the arm of his throne.

"I am such a benevolent Emperor." The Emperor boast. "For not killing you, aren't I Marquis Mo?"

Marquis Mo buried his chin so far deep in chest that he could be mistaken for a turtle.

The Emperor eyes him indifferently ."Here my decree, like a dog that digs for bone, Marquis Mo is to assume a new position. Marquis Mo is to head to the uppermost region of Lonia and help with the excavations of iron. He shall return only when half of the iron is mined. And as I am a gracious Emperor, the Mo family is to be demoted to Baron and shall be left in the charge of the second daughter husband."

"No!" Madam Mo shouted. She had not expected that the Emperor would treat them this way. Madam Mo's stout body pulled away from the guards and fell to the ground beside her husband.

"What of my...the first daughter?"

The Emperor brow raises. Who is this blubbering woman?

"Wasn't she married?"

That's right the first daughter was married out to an outside noble. In other words, a married woman is no longer the responsibility or responsible for the paternal home. Only the second daughter remains.

Marquis Mo trembled, frightened of his wife words and immediately grab the woman's neck. He forced her to kowtow so hard that her head knocked against the palace floor knocking the woman out.

But Marquis Mo couldn't help but worry. He's alive, yes, but how is the Emperor gracious? There is only ice and snow in northern Lonia, not even water could be dug much less iron. The Emperor is basically send him to die.

Just as the court was to close, an aide from the Eastern border relayed a message.

"The battle for the eastern border resulted on Lonia's victory. First Prince and General Wang will return to the capital within three months.

This in news was akin to throwing oil into a fire. Explosive. Only a few persons didn't take kindly to the news.

Da Fan met with Feng Huang outside the palace, as he held her hand to help her inside the carriage Second Prince and General Cong showed up. The two had stayed quiet during the proceedings.

Da Fan and Feng Huang turned their heads and bowed to the Second Prince giving their greetings to his status as royalty.

Second Prince cracked a smile. "Minister Feng that was quite the performance. Can Minister Feng spare this Prince a moment of his time?"

Feng Huang was reluctant to talk with the Second Prince. "I must decline the Prince invitation this time. My wife isn't feeling well and this minister is worried for her."

Second Prince's face show a hint of surprise and displeasure. "Ha, so Second Madam is unwell? This Prince won't keep you then."

"This minister will say farewell." Feng Huang revealed a smile and took Da Fan's hand.

"Feng Huang, where is my daughter and your main wife?"

General Cong's bold and unexpected question surprised Feng Huang. He ushered Da Fan into the carriage and then answered General Cong.

"Your daughter is the where she belongs General Cong. If you wish to see her please do visit."

Feng Huang got into the carriage, shut door and drive away.