102. Carrots & Cackles

A/N: Happy Easter to those who celebrate it, and happy spring to those who don't! Here's a quick little celebration chappie to mark the occasion :) I have another update coming up in the next day or so! Maybe even tonight, we'll see how it goes.

P.S. how stinking adorable is this gif of the two of them?!

Winnie

Words: 1K

"Why did I find a pink plastic egg in my goose feather duvet?"

Yours, Bucky's, and Steve's eyes all dart away from the mess on the kitchen table to see Tony Stark lingering in the doorway. His silky red robe is traipsing precariously low down one shoulder and the belt around his waist is much too loose for his thin frame.

"Well?" he questions again at your trio's lack of response. He shakes the egg midair—causing the innards to rattle.

"Don't look at me," Steve holds up both hands. The once pale ivory of his forearms is now stained purple and pink from food coloring. His sleeves are rolled up as if to not get soiled. "Bucky and Y/N were in charge of egg hiding."

"So which one of you came into my room while I was sleeping?" Tony's eyes flick from you to Bucky before going back to you again. "I hope to god it's you and not Barnes."

"It was me, don't freak out." You chuckle and roll your eyes. "Sorry, I'll try not to hide them in any bedrooms next time."

Tony huffs irritably. "What's your point in doing all of this anyway? Don't you have other things to be doing?" He doesn't sound mad, just average-level annoyed.

"It's fun," is your reply. Bucky nods quietly while paying close attention to the polka dots he's coloring onto a hardboiled eggshell with waxy crayon. His tongue sticks out of his mouth slightly as he works.

"Well, some of us appreciate a little warning if you're going to be sneaking around bedrooms. I hope to god you didn't see anything." Tony cracks open the pink plastic egg.

"Nothing I haven't seen before, Stark." You'd forgotten that the billionaire prefers to sleep in the nude. You'd rather not relive the time he ended up sleepwalking down the hotel hall in Berlin and strolled past your door. He nearly walked off a balcony—you saved his ass that night, quite literally: his bare cheeks were put on display for all of Germany to see. There were two moons that evening.

You shake your head to rid yourself of the memory.

"So I take that you don't want to help us dye eggs?" Steve chuckles.

Tony scoffs, "I'm going back to bed. It's too damn early for this." It's only half past nine but knowing Stark he was probably up all night working on another project.

"Alright," you wave behind your head—having turned back to your eggs a few seconds before. "Later, Stark."

Tony mumbles some sort of goodbye, munching on the hard candy remnants from the egg he'd discovered in his bedding, and leaves down the hall in the direction in which he came. Only once he's totally, completely, and utterly out of sight do you dare to make direct eye contact with Bucky. Without a single spoken word the super soldier with the silky brown hair begins a round of giggling hysterics—accidently kicking you beneath the table as he guffaws and throws his head back towards the ceiling. You're laughing, too, and the sight of his two best friends in such a fit has Steve chuckling.

"What on earth has gotten into the two of you?" Steve pauses to take a sip of coffee.

You wipe light tearstains from under your shiny eyes. "Ask peeping Tom," you reply.

"It was me," Bucky chokes out. He's hardly understandable through the remaining giggles. "I was the one in Stark's room." Bucky points at you with a long metal digit. "She's a true hero and covered for me."

"Speaking of covers," you laugh heavily, "Were you lucky enough to find Stark with his on? Or did you get a lot more than you bargained for?"

Bucky's loud groan of agony sets you and Steve into a roaring fit again. "Let's just say that I'm officially retired of being the Easter Bunny. I thought it'd be fun to toss 'em around everyone's rooms, mess with people a bit, but I saw things I should've never seen..."He silences himself with a head shake and a body shiver.

"One too many carrots for your liking?" You can hardly get the joke out properly you're laughing so hard. Steve's reached over to slap your shoulder—getting his point across in a rather bruise-worthy way that he finds you funny. Of course he does, you're one of his best friends.

"I've never, ever wanted to see anyone's carrot: especially... especially that one." Bucky tries to hide his face behind his hands before being pulled back up again by the sound of someone else coming into the room.

"Hey, guys. What's up?" Sam Wilson has just come from a morning run, it seems. He's sweaty and hunched over as if slightly sore. He grins at everyone heartily, seeming happy to have rolled into this giggly scene, and takes a swig of water from the bottle he holds in his hand. In his other... in his other he has a snack pack of baby carrots. He reaches in to grab one out—noticing that silence falls over his friends. Curious, he holds one in their direction at the table. "Y'all want some of my carrots or somethin'?"

Your head falls straight into your arms on the tabletop, choking on laughter, and Steve bellows so loud he sounds like a fire engine.

"I'm going to take a hard pass on your carrots, Wilson. Hard pass for me," Bucky's adamantly chuckling.

"Damn," Sam snorts. "I don't know what tickled y'all's funny bones this morning, but looks like a damn happy Easter to me." He finishes chewing up one of the micro-carrots before spinning on a heel: leaving you, Steve, and Bucky to finish cackling and egg-dunking over coffee and tea.

Happy Easter, indeed.