Chapter Eighteen

After talking to my father, he immediately sent word to the Emperor about my marriage.

Contradict to my prediction, father was rather calm and reserved as I revealed my decision to him. I was assuming he would flip the table over but he stayed silent the entire time, occasionally nodding his head to show that he was listening.

What no one's expecting was the early arrival of the Emperor's personal eunuch the next day causing the Bai Household to be in panic mode. The kitchen servants rushed in preparing food for the imperial entourage as me, father and several people including Xiao Yu huddled inside the receiving area.

"Lady Bai Fan, first Daughter of General Bai Long He, accept the imperial edict!" The eunuch announced in a loud voice as he unrolled the scroll in his hand.

I adjusted my dress and father held my hand as I kneeled on the floor.

"Lady Bai Fan is beautiful, talented, good-natured, and graceful in every way."

Ahh, stop flattering me.

The eunuch paused for a moment to look at me with scrutinizing eyes Pleased with what he saw, he continued, "Therefore, the Emperor bestow upon Lady Bai Fan the rank of first princess."

I heard the collected gasp from people inside the room. Most of them had the idea that I was going to marry the crown prince so they thought I would be given the title of the crown princess.

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

Another eunuch came forward and presented me a crystal box. I opened it and saw a familiar badge, the golden lion emblem.

I remembered the other golden lion emblem hidden inside my jewelry box. I think that one was fake because the day I went to see Chen Heng Li, he was wearing his badge in his chest. I will have to compare the two later and confirm whether it's fake or not.

Xiao Yu helped me pin the golden lion emblem into my upper clothing. I looked at father and he has a proud smile in his face.

I'm a part of the royal family now. First princess Bai Fan sounds good, too.

"Long live the son of heavens! Long live the Emperor!" We all chanted in unison when the eunuch ended his speech. He gave the scroll to me and wished me the best of luck. He bowed and excused himself to go talk to my father.

"Mis-" Xiao Yu corrected herself and whispered, "I mean, princess Bai Fan."

"Xiao Yu, just call me 'miss' like how you usually do." I told her.

"I don't dare. Princess is not just a simple noble lady anymore." Xiao Yu dismissed my plea and continued to address me by my new rank.

"Don't call me that when its only the two of us," I pouted, "It feels weird getting called 'princess.' I'm not used to it, yet."

Xiao Yu nodded in understanding.

"But..."

I motioned for her to continue speaking.

"Miss, first princess is good but isn't it better to be the crown princess?" She muttered as she was genuinely confused because I wasn't given the crown princess status.

She still doesn't know that I have rejected Chen Heng Li. She was bit suspicious of Ming Shu's disappearance but I only shrug whenever she asks me about her.

"I can only be the crown princess by getting betrothed to the crown prince." I explained.

"Miss, you are already betrothed with the crown prince." She said matter-of-factly.

Your ship has sunk.

"I refused his proposal."

"Wha-"

I covered Xiao Yu's mouth before she could raise her voice. I gestured for her to quiet down before letting go of her.

"Xiao Yu, its not the right place to talk about it. The imperial envoys are still here." I said and she didn't ask about it anymore though she was still giddy to know the juicy details.

Just then, father approached me and dismissed Xiao Yu. We walked out to the garden, away from all the prying eyes.

"Princess Bai Fan..." He bowed in greetings.

"Father, call me Fan'er."

"Princess, you're already part of the royal family. I can't just call you like I used to do." Father smiled.

Ahh, father don't make me cry.

I bit my lower lip to stop myself from crying. I need to contain my emotions.

With my new rank, I became one of the most important people in the entire empire but with it, comes change and I can feel it already. I'm not Fan'er anymore, I'm princess Bai Fan. I just hope this won't put any walls between me and the people who've been part of my life as Fan'er, especially my father.

"Princess Bai Fan, we are going to the imperial capital tomorrow. The emperor prepared a small celebration for you," Father informed me, "he will also announce your engagement."

"I understand."

"Princess Bai Fan, this is only the first step. I can not promise that everything will go smooth from here but," father kneeled in front of me, "this General oaths his unwavering loyalty to you. I will serve you with all that I am."

This time, I let my tears break free. I am very blessed to have such a loving and caring father.

Ever since I arrived in this world, I lived a good life because of him. He doted on me and gave me everything I needed. He never forces me to do anything against my will and most of the time, he gives me the freedom to make my own decisions. Compared to other ancient parents who controls their children's life, my father was a rare breed. Well, I have to thank the author for giving Bai Fan the best father in these olden times.

Thank you to myself.

"Father, please stand up," I helped father on his feet and saw he was teary-eyed as well, "I've become a princess but I will forever be your daughter."

I hugged him and cried on his shoulders. Its been long since I have last cried and my emotions that were in turmoil seemed to calm down. It brought me peace though it was only temporary.

Just like what father said, today is only the first step. I still have a lot of walking to do before I get to my destination.

Once I enter the imperial capital, there's no going back.