one

||| Mackenzie |||

"How are you getting to school this morning?" Maddie, my older sister, questioned while stuffing her face with an eggo waffle. Her eyes were on me with a raised eyebrow, awaiting my answer.

"Brynn is driving me." I smiled, racing around the kitchen as I grabbed my lunch and threw it in my backpack, swung my backpack over my shoulder before grabbing an apple and a orange flavoured juice box. It'll have to do. "She's here now, so I'll see you after school?" I smiled; heading towards the door, not wanting to make Brynn wait.

"Maybe. I don't know what time my shift finishes, but have fun at school~" She sung, a smirk playing on her lips which only received a scoff from me in return.

Maddie made sure to remind me that she no longer went to school every chance she got. I couldn't wait to graduate, no more homework, no more early mornings. I'd be free.

"Morning Brynny!" I chirp, opening her car door and climbing into the passenger seat, swinging my bag around so it would sit on my lap, a smile on my face while doing so.

"Morning Kenz, you seem awfully happy." Brynn laughed, starting to reverse out of my driveway as she glanced to me before the road, biting her lip in concentration.

"Well I am getting out of taking the bus to school." I grinned, taking a bite of my apple. Taking the bus to school wasn't the worst thing, I'd be able to drive in the next couple of months once I finished saving up for a car, but getting driven was much more efficient.

"I could drive you every morning you know-" Brynn started, letting out a sigh and shaking her head, before I quickly cut her off; knowing how this conversation went.

"No need, I don't want to make you late." I laugh, sipping my juice box. Although it was still orange juice, it still didn't do justice and I realised why I stopped having juice boxes when I was 5. Placing it a cup holder, I continue eating my apple.

"I literally drive by your house everyday. If you're running late I'll walk inside and drag you myself." Brynn tried to reason, nudging me slightly and taking her eyes off the road for a couple seconds.

Letting out a long and exaggerated sigh, I nodded. "Maybe..." I grinned, a small laugh falling from my lips before I ran a hand through my straight hair. "Where's Annie?" I hum, only now just realising the brunette was no where to be seen.

"Oh, she texted me like 5 minuets before I left, saying her mum was taking her. But both her parents cars were still in the driveway when I left." Brynn shrugged, causing me to frown in confusion. Yeah, Brynn and Annie were neighbours. Lucky them.

"Weird." I mumbled with a small laugh, not thinking too much of it. Annie was like that sometimes, she would change her mind last minuet or do things without really giving explanations.

"Hayley probably wanted to get the bus with her." Brynn suggested, pulling up to the school. One thing I was happy about was how close my house was to the school.

It wasn't exactly opposite the school, but it was only a few streets away. If I ever forgot anything at home like my lunch money or sports uniform, I would easily be able to jump the fence during lunch, run home and grab whatever I need and still make it back on time.

"There she is!" I grin as I got out the car, seeing Annie leaning against a light post - most likely waiting for us before entering school. Annies eyes lifted off her phone to us, a small and warming smile appearing on her face.