~21~

Edited

For two will always be stronger than one, like a team braced against the tempest civil world.

And love will always be the guiding force in our lives. For tonight is mere formality.Only an announcement to the world of feelings long held. Promises made long ago.

In the sacred spaces of our hearts

-One Tree Hill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My lungs were screaming for air but I didn't stop.

My legs were starting to ache in protest but I kept running.

I was sprinting in the soccer field, college wasn't due to open till two more hours.

Running was one of my favorite past times. I loved how my mind would go completely blank as I ran, I loved the numbing sensation I was left with afterwards.

After a few more laps I finally stopped, taking a minute to breathe.

"You should try out for the track team."

I screamed. My hand flew to my chest in shock.

Jace's amused face stared down at me.

"You almost gave me a heart-attack!" I wheezed.

He chuckled. "I'm sorry you were just so preoccupied. I've been standing here watching you for the past ten minutes and you didn't notice me."

I blushed a little. "You were watching me? Why?"

He winked. "I like watching pretty girls run."

"Creep." I teased.

He just grinned.

"Were you following me or something? How did you know I'd be here?" I asked curiously.

He shrugged. "I went to your house because I wanted to talk to you but you weren't there so I figured you'd be here."

"What did you want to talk about?"

He flashed me with his dimples. "We still have some time till college opens. Let's go get some ice-cream."

~~

"This place hasn't changed a bit." I observed as we entered the old ice-cream parlor.

I used to come here all the time.

"I'll take two scoops of dark chocolate topped with sprinkles." I told the server with a grin.

"One scoop of vanilla please." Jace placed his order.

"Vanilla?" I questioned. "Out of all the choices you choose plain vanilla?"

He smiled and shrugged.

His eyes grew thoughtful for a moment.

"Such a complicated world." He murmured. "Honestly, there's something about simple things that gives me comfort."

He flicked my forehead playfully. "We make things complicated for ourselves. Our mind makes us believe that its untangling things but in reality it's just twisting everything up. Just listen to your heart, it makes things a lot simpler."

He paid for both of our ice-creams and we made our way to an empty booth in the corner.

He gave me a playful wink. "This is on me. I owe you for taking you to that illegal street race."