tommy shelby: don't touch her. (smut warning)

Anxiously tapping the top of your fingers along the wooden table in the kitchen, you waited uncomplainingly for Tommy to come back home. They usually let everyone out of the prison cells - the ones who had been thrown in overnight to help them calm down - at midday but it was gone seven o'clock and you feared that something had occurred. Your husband was someone who could guard himself, but it didn't stop you worrying. Tommy was doing it on purpose, he wanted to know what you were suffering after the trouble that you had caused the previous night. However, it wouldn't be long before he was back home. Tommy had plans for the night.

You cursed yourself as you thought about the night before. It had started out as a pathetic game that you had developed in your head once you had stepped inside of one of the local pubs in Birmingham. Tommy had been a nuisance all day; regularly snubbing you, dismissing your business ideas and not even bothering to eat the dinner that you had made for him. Business was taking its toll, but it was no excuse to you and you wanted to teach Tommy a lesson, show him that you required his attention at least some of the time but you hadn't expected it to get so out of hand.

"Well, if it isn't Luke Howard. How are you?"

Tommy was sat at the other end of the room, his eyes occasionally turning to look at you and one of Tommy's old business friends from a long time ago and he could feel the temper building up already. Luke was nothing more than somebody that you used to know, an old acquaintance that you had not seen in a while, but you used his invitation to the pub as an excuse to get under Tommy's nails and show him that you meant business. If anything was to kick off - big or small - you would not care for Luke being hurt and that was the truth.

"Mrs. Shelby." Luke extended his arm and you charmingly shook his hand, sneakily looking over his shoulder to look at Tommy who was finding it hard to concentrate on the contract in front of him. He had already made his way through two glasses of whiskey. "I am doing very well, thank you. How are you?"

Melodramatically, you faked a lengthy sigh and flopped your head against the bar surface. This way, you could easily see Tommy, but Luke was also in your view. "I'm doing alright, I suppose."

Luke smiled compassionately before looking back at Tommy. It was risky for him to be talking to you, especially as he was an old business worker of Tommy's, but Luke was also a nice man to a certain extent, despite his malicious ways - Tommy was somewhat a saint compared to Luke. However, Luke had always had a soft spot for you and could not bear to see you upset. Despite his detestation for Tommy after the catastrophic breakdown of a business meeting which ended in Luke losing out on a lot of money, Luke didn't not want to see you troubled and he also saw it as a chance to get one over of Tommy. Fortunately, you were enthusiastic to play along.

"Is the marriage failing?" Luke awkwardly nodded back at Tommy before raising both eyebrows. "Because I know for a fact that if I was married to you, I would not be sat in the corner of this place with a bunch of men deliberating business that could easily be done another time."

With a blush, you responded to Luke's statement. "That is very kind of you."

"It's the truth, love. Tommy Shelby is a foolish man for letting you sit alone," Luke replied. "You never answered my question."

"What question?"

"Is your marriage with Tommy failing?"

"I wouldn't say failing. We just don't have a lot of time to spend together and when we are together, well, we might as well not be. The business comes before me, always has done and always will," you answered.