TWENTY - NINE

[ CONFLICTED ]

HALO SAT OUTSIDE OF LUKE'S HUT FOR WHAT FELT LIKE AN ETERNITY

she could feel his presence inside. weary, still closed off entirely from the force. halo knew that she shouldn't have stormed away from him when he told her the truth. she knew that she should have stayed and listened to her master, helped him work it through.

but she did not want him to think she had abandoned him. she would always be there. he had to know.

she stared absently at her lightsaber, noticing the way the sun gleamed off it's ridges in the early morning air. it felt comforting in her hand, normal, and routine. it was the only constant she had ever known. always there. faithful and steady.

her thumb brushed over its hilt, littered with tiny scratches and indents. to her, it was the most beautiful thing in the world.

she was vaguely aware of rey lingering around the falcon. the young scavenger was practicing her techniques. it made halo smile. she never gave up. that girl was determined to become a jedi at whatever cost.

she let her eyes wander for a few more seconds before she felt a familiar tug in the back of her mind.

in a moment, he was there.

"you shouldn't have said those things."

halo's lips pressed firmly at his words. she could feel anger and annoyance radiating off of him. but more than anything, she could feel his confusion. it was deep and bitter, penetrating every waking part of his mind. it was constantly there. never ending.

"why not?" she dared, her eyes lingering on her saber.

she could practically hear his thoughts as he sat down beside her. he projected aggressively.

"it's the truth," she said softly, setting her fingers down on her lap before turning her light eyed gaze to his own.

she was startled by what she saw.

dark rings were formed beneath his eyes. hollow circles giving away his every thought. his deep eyes looked haunted, the angry flesh of his scar tugging one down at the corner. he looked sick. for a moment, she felt something close to worry tangle in her heart, but she quickly shoved it aside.

in his face, she saw many things. but there was a striking resemblance in that moment. he looked like a ghost. like the ghost of his father.