Chapter seventy three

Finding yourself

The dark sky blanketed the city as Ava raced into an alleyway and tore two adolescents apart

The dark sky blanketed the city as Ava raced into an alleyway and tore two adolescents apart. She grinned wickedly as she ordered their silence and began to feed.

"Young, healthy. A tad unsophisticated, but not bad." Klaus applauded as he stepped from the shadows and watched his love dance devilishly in the night. She ignored his triumphant remark and kept her fangs in the girls throat, allowing the slick cold liquid to ooze down her throat.

"Listen to the heart beat, it will tell you when to stop." He pressed on, but it was barely audible under the pulsation of her hunger.

"Avangaline." Klaus muttered, stepping cautiously toward the blonde who was denying him the right to order her around.

"Avangaline, that is enough." He bellowed, tearing the girl away with brute force. She rolled her eyes, and wiped the blood dripping from her lips.

"Are you actually about to lecture me on restraint." She laughed, veins pulsing underneath her irises with a rhythm of the heart. Klaus shook his head and turned back to the pair standing unphased in the alleyway.

"Leave now. forget my face and that of the mouthy blonde." He compelled them before shoving them off out in the distance. Ava groaned, missing the ecstatic feeling of power that she received only momentarily.

"We need to go, you're not acting like yourself." Niklaus muttered, ready to grab her arm and go home. But Ava was faster this time, spinning out of his grip and grinning eagerly at his confused reaction.

"I am myself, Nik. This is who I am now. This is who Aurora made me." She sung, tiptoeing toward him. Klaus resented what Aurora had done, and panic rose in his chest like bile as he watched Ava morph into who he used to be.

"Ava, love. This is not the fate I wish for you." He murmured, his gaze calculating. But Ava wasn't finished with her fun, the night was still roaring with life and she didn't need the shackles of someone who had already experienced what she had yet to.

"But this is the fate I have, Niklaus. And you don't understand." She began, raising her left hand and allowing the street lamps light to dance on the diamond resting on her finger.

"This means so much more now. You are who you are exactly meant to be, and I can be just like you now Nik." She beamed, her mind in a foggy state of euphoria. He sighed, watching the frantic mindset derail her from her morals. If he couldn't stop her now, she would spiral and be lost forever.

"You are still learning who you are, my love. But this is not you." He whispered, delicately caressing her cheeks as she stared dotingly toward him. She nodded, the light crystal slowly creeping back into her irises.

"But it can be." She replied softly, nestling into the warmth of his hand. His head dipped and he kissed her, allowing her mind to grow foggier. Ava had lost all sentiment in a blink and her mind raced with new thoughts, before everything went silent.